Ten Things to Talk About This Weekend

1. “Text-talk” is now official, and the Oxford English Dictionary has just gotten a little bitchier, adding “WTF,” “LOL,” and ...
By BETH E. BRAITERMAN and STEPHANIE R. MCCARTNEY

1. “Text-talk” is now official, and the Oxford English Dictionary has just gotten a little bitchier, adding “WTF,” “LOL,” and “Muffin Top” to their new edition. FYI, “LOL” traces back to 1941, when it meant “Little Old Lady.”

2. This month, Obama wants to hear from you—on Facebook, that is. The President is conducting a live-stream “Facebook town hall,” and you can post potential questions on the event page wall.

3. Harvard Admissions hits rock bottom ... for now. The lucky 6.2% of admitted prefrosh can look forward to awkwardly mumbling, “Oh, I’m going to school in Boston ...” for the next four months.

4. On a more national note, the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System proposes a $50 yearly fee for smokers and overweight diabetics. That’s tough love/tough cookies.

5. And in another effort to pinch American waistlines, the Obama administration plans to make calorie-counts public come 2012. From fast-food to vending machine chains, you won’t be able to escape the truth.

6. First Purell in the dining halls, now sanitary gloves on the T? The sanitation craze has yet to hit Boston, but New Yorkers now have the luxury of complementary “Metro Mitts” to avoid those grimy subway rails.

7. British football fans are fired up once again, but this time the drama is over décor, not draft picks. The Fulham Football Club has announced its plan to erect a life-size statue of Michael Jackson in its London stadium.

8. From “Pretty Woman” to hideous hag, Julia Roberts has just been cast as the evil Queen in a remake of the Disney classic, “Snow White.”

9. The good news: the unemployment rate has dropped to 8.8 percent. The bad news: we suspect that rate is a tad bit higher for the Class of 2011. May is right around the corner!

10. Harvard hipsters rejoice—The New York Times declares that, from rose to raspberry, red pants are in.

For The Moment