Board of Overseers Candidates Question Selection Process

Day 2 of Harvard Yard Encampment Faces Greater Threat of Disciplinary Action

Harvard Islamic Studies Program X Account Reinstated After University Intervenes

‘Appalling’: Keynote Speaker at Legacy of Slavery Symposium Calls for Faster Repatriation of Indigenous Remains

The State Legislature Is Considering an Endowment Tax. Experts Say It Could ‘Cripple’ Harvard

‘Hold On’ Review: Justin Bieber Refreshes Listeners with a Gentle Message of Hope

By Angelina V. Shoemaker, Crimson Staff Writer

The otherworldly and retro-style vibe of Justin Bieber’s new single “Hold On” speaks to a kind of familiar, melancholy love many have experienced. This love –– fragmented by his lover’s own sense of emptiness and disorientation in life –– reflects the sentiment of feelings lost in an indifferent world despite having strong support. With a musical quality reminiscent of The Weeknd’s most recent album, “After Hours,” Bieber reaches out to his partner with a message of compassion, asking her to “hold on” until things get better. Likewise, “Hold On” resonates with the current unpredictable and disrupted status of the world, reassuring listeners with a promise of better days.

Although the particular source of his lover’s sorrow is unclear, Bieber’s new single touches on an emotion close to many. He conveys loneliness through the slow-wave rhythm of the music and the expressive quality of his voice. He reflects on his own mistakes, promising to always be a rock for the object of his affections. Nevertheless, this new track is a pleasant divergence from Bieber’s typically more upbeat and lighthearted music style, more in line with his recent ballad “Lonely” than anything else. Although not remarkably deep or elaborately written, “Hold On” is a lowkey song that refreshes listeners with its straightforward message.

The music video itself depicts Bieber’s hospitalized lover, for whom he sells his belongings and even robs a bank to afford her medical bills. However, in the end, he himself is shot –– depicting a grim and almost contradictory ending. His message is meant to be one of reliance and hope, but in the end, neither is enough to save Bieber or his love in the video. Whether this is intentional to the significance of the song itself or just for dramatic effect is unclear. Nonetheless, this song branches further out into his newly slowed-down style category. This open-hearted and gentle sound is refreshing, showing a more relaxed and intimate side of Bieber. His growth and maturity throughout the years manifests in his music, following his many artistic and personal developments. Bieber has self-admittedly made many blunders throughout his career, being in the spotlight from such a young age. Nonetheless, he still has more to offer listeners, and his new music is worth checking out.

— Staff writer Angelina V. Shoemaker can be reached at angelina.shoemaker@thecrimson.com.