House Laundry Room Tier List

By Eve S. Jones

Housing Day is tomorrow (!!!) and if you’ve read Flyby’s Housing Market, you’d know that each House comes with unique quirks. Laundry rooms are no exception. Lucky for you, Flyby has rounded up anecdotes on each laundry room so freshmen can get a sneak peak into what they’ll be getting into. Note: this is VERY OBJECTIVE (a.k.a. we asked the first person we saw in each house.)

S-Tier

Kirkland

In between the rats and the… somewhat decrepit infrastructure… Kirkland can use a win, and this is it. Connor R. Gibson ’25 is “personally a fan, I think it gets the job done. I’m not really somebody who needs a whole lot of show. I think Kirkland has a great laundry room and I’m proud of it and I love it dearly.” Sophomores, get excited. We hope you too, share Connor’s enthusiasm.

Eliot

“It’s never failed me. Never failed me,” declared Eliotite Karly Y. Hou, ’24. What a glowing remark.

“Whenever I do my laundry, there’s always been laundry available,” Hou said. “And sometimes when I show up late to pick it up, another person has taken it out for me and put it in a bag.”

Solid reviews for Eliot.

Currier

Currier’s washing machines and dryers received an enthusiastic review from resident Chibuikem C. Uche ’24.

“Honestly, I really like [the laundry rooms] a lot. We have four [rooms] of washing machines, four of drying machines, and they’re never really occupied at one time because they’re kind of spaced out.” Additionally, “the repair time is typically really quickly. I think we do it the best. Overall I give it a 10/10.”

Quaded? If you got Currier you’re in luck. No wait time? Quick repairs? The other Houses are jealous.

A-Tier

Quincy

Good news for new Quincy residents – Emil R. Massad ’25 reports that “the Stone Hall laundry room is cramped but functional in a nice way.” Not an effusive review, but functionality is always a win, even if you’re a bit squished.

Lowell

Secret laundry room? We’ll leave it to you to find it. Diana Chen ‘25 prefers this laundry room over the main one because it is “always really crowded and the dryers and machines are in high demand. So I feel like I have to rush back to the laundry when it’s done. But for the secret laundry room I feel a little more safe with leaving it in there an extra minute or so.”

B-Tier

Winthrop

Even though Winthrop has many laundry rooms to choose from (one in Fairfax, one in Standish, and one in Winthrop proper)... it appears to lack actual machines. Paul Yang ‘25 reflected that “the only downfall is that we don’t have enough laundry machines, especially on busy days, it’s always taken and packed and a lot of people don’t take out their clothes which makes it difficult for others who need to do laundry to do it.” Sophomores, you might need to use your elbows to get your laundry done, but we believe in you.

Cabot

Cabot doesn’t receive the best reviews, with no central laundry room (just smaller ones sprinkled throughout), reported broken machines, and people leaving clothes behind. Our best tip from Cabot resident Ahmad H. Kanafani ‘26: “It’s not great, but you can manage to find something. It depends when you do your laundry. You have to be smart about it.”

C-Tier

Adams

It sounds like Adams isn’t speedy with their repairs… and Adams residents aren’t speedy either when grabbing their clothes out. On the fourth floor laundry room in the Inn, we hear that only one out of three washers work, one is currently flooded, and another hasn’t worked in months. However, the dryers are “vibing” according to Anika L. Christensen ‘26. That’s something!

Dunster

According to an email sent to the entire Dunster mailing list, Fahim Ahmed ‘25 says to avoid washer #5 at all costs. It “will make your life hell and it is currently filled with water [heart emoji] beware.” Beyond that, no Dunster laundry room complaints!

D-Tier

Mather

Mather sophomores typically live in the low rise, and we’re sorry to report that you might need to be wary of random hands touching your laundry… sorry :( Resident Melane M. Volz ‘25 said of the Mather laundry rooms, “There’s a lot of rows. Sometimes it manages to be filled all the way and I’m very surprised by that, but yeah! And sometimes it’s just hella clothes everywhere. There’s one in the low rise that’s absolutely horrendous, like, there’s always clothes everywhere, like if you don’t grab your laundry out in time, most likely someone will come in and take it out for you.”

F-Tier

Pfoho

Phofo residents… get ready to FIGHT. Nick E. Harpe ’26 remarks “sometimes I’ll check Laundryview and it’ll be open and then within three minutes, I’ll go down and someone’s already put their stuff. It’s a competitive marketplace.”

And if that wasn’t enough, Helen E. Blake ’26 laments — “our laundry room is three washers and three dryers for a hall of like, 90 people. Maybe that’s an exaggeration. Either way, it’s not enough.”

Leverett

Sorry Leverett, but stinky laundry machines? It’s a no from us. This secured you a spot at the very bottom of our laundry tier. When asked about the laundry rooms in the Leverett Towers, Tara E. Guetzloe ‘26 thinks “the water and some of the laundry machines stink which is not ideal but it doesn't really impact my clothes.” Well, we’re at least glad to hear that! Tara also hasn’t lost too many socks, so that’s a plus. No sock stealers here.

All in all, we conclude that Harvard laundry rooms could use an upgrade. ASAP. We also encourage EVERYONE to get their clothes out of the machine as soon as the cycle is done. PLEASE set a timer. It’s not that hard. We hope the Housing Gods are in your favor and you get a house on our S-list.

Flyby BlogFlyby FrontAround Campus