Flyby Investigates: Nowruz

By Jennifer Y Yao

Alas, we have entered the post-spring break period of the semester and have begun the five-week-long sprint towards finals week. Sigh. While the celebrations and festivities might be over for some now that we have arrived back on campus, Persian students on campus, such as myself, still have one last hurrah to look forward to before completely sinking beneath the demands of our academic schedules – Nowruz!

Nowruz, which translates directly to new day, falls on the first day of spring and marks the beginning of a new year in the Iranian calendar. You might think that us Persians are running a little behind in celebrating the new year in March and ringing in the year 1403, but I would like to inform you that the Iranian solar calendar is actually one of the most accurate solar calendars in use currently. Also, in my very biased opinion, I prefer to celebrate the new year around a time when new life is blossoming after the chokeholds of winter – it just makes more sense. So take that, Gregorian calendar supremacists!

The time of year when Nowruz is celebrated is not the only unique part of this special holiday. In fact, there are many traditions that come with the ringing in of the new year that might seem odd from an outside perspective but are actually some of the things that I consider to be hallmarks of my family’s transition into the spring season. One of these traditions is arranging what is called a haft-sin, which translates to seven ‘S’s, in which seven items related to the elements of the earth are presented on a table to symbolize good luck and fortune for the new year. While there are many items that can make their ways into the haft-sin of Iranian families, my family has continued to choose a specific seven year after year.

1. Sabzeh

Sabzeh is a special type of wheat grass that can be quickly and easily grown around the spring season. Quite intuitively, this part of the haft-sin is used to symbolize rebirth and growth in the new year. The best way that I can describe this one is exactly as one would expect it to be: a pot of grass. As underwhelming as this might seem to some, the sabzeh is one of my personal favorite parts of the haft-sin that my family assembles each year. Its vibrant color is always eye-catching, and I have also managed to keep it alive in the days leading up to Nowruz. As someone who has the complete opposite of a green thumb and forgets that, even though my water intake is poor, I can’t dehydrate and neglect my plants the same way, I appreciate the grass’s resilience year after year.

2. Sir

Sir, pronounced “sear,” in this case does not mean the crisp cooking of a meat to a golden brown. Instead, sir is the Farsi word for garlic, which on Nowruz symbolizes medicine and good health for the new year. Garlic is used similarly in other cultural traditions, such as Chinese New Year, and as a theoretical defense against vampires, which I suppose can also be seen as a way to protect one’s health! While this part of the haft-sin might not be as visually appealing as others, I find its meaning to be quite special and important to this holiday. After adopting our dog, this part of my family’s arrangement has had to be moved from the rest of the table to a fireplace altar to avoid the opposite of its promises from happening…so far, we have had no issues, so I guess the garlic is doing its job, no matter its location!

3. Sib

Sib, or an apple, is probably one of the easiest parts of the haft-sin to incorporate. Unlike the sabzeh that you have to grow in advance, not to mention keep alive, and the sir that is many times a pain to peel, sib are always in high supply at any grocery store and require no additional preparation before being placed with the other items. For many, the sib is especially important to have in the haft-sin, symbolizing beauty. As optimistic as I would like to be in saying that this means beauty within and of the world around us, I personally fall into the trap of hinging the idea of my personal glow-up on if there is an apple on my table or not. If you want 1403 to be your year, do not forget your sib!

4. Sekkeh

Sekkeh translates to coins, which are probably my most looked forward to item on my family’s haft-sin. Symbolizing wealth and prosperity, sekkeh are also an integral part of any arrangement for the new year. While traditionally the coins that are laid out in haft-sins are specific for special occasions such as the new year and weddings, my family takes the direct translation. Some years, we have thrown quarters into a dish, and other years pennies, which, looking back, seems superstitious in terms of setting the tone for the rest of the year. But I like to believe that as long as there are coins on the table, wealth will be ensured, both monetarily and through other means!

5. Shirini

This part of the haft-sin is also a favorite of my family, incorporating sweets such as candy eggs or other tiny chocolates. This item, if no other, must make the haft-sin in my opinion, as it symbolizes happiness and joy. I mean, beyond what it symbolizes, why wouldn’t you want to include something as tasty as a sweet treat in your arrangement? In my family, at least, the shirini dish often has to be replenished – our stomachs are full and our hearts are happy, what more could we need for the new year?

6. Somagh

Somagh is probably the most boring part of the haft-sin, but that assessment could be coming from the fact that I prefer my food bland rather than spiced. Somagh is a tangy, red spice that symbolizes new beginnings and sunrises, and it is, like the sib, an easy last minute addition to any arrangement. It is frightening being in charge of placing this item on the table, as one wrong move can make it so my family’s carpet needs its own new beginning – stain remover. So far, however, I have been lucky and made it through with no spills, and I am hoping to keep this streak going.

7. Goldfish

Hear me out, I know that goldfish doesn’t start with an S, but neither does the Persian translation, which is mahi… so, I thought at least goldfish would be more direct. Goldfish are used in the haft-sin arrangement to symbolize the flow of time and passing of life, which is quite ironic considering that many times when we have gotten goldfish for this holiday, they have lived only a few weeks – it's not us, it's the pet store, I swear. Since moving to college, my parents have still gotten a goldfish to put in the bowl for me, which I appreciate because it allows me to ignore my academic responsibilities for a moment and think about home. Also, the joy of getting to brainstorm names for my long-distance pet during p-set breaks is like no other. I know that Dave (my fish this year, skillfully named) will survive beyond the new year traditions and hopefully be waiting for me when I arrive back from campus this summer.

As random as these items might sound in the abstract, they come together to make a beautiful presentation that I look forward to year after year, even if it looks roughly the same each time. On this new year, even if you won’t have a haft-sin of your own, maybe save an extra apple or two or season your HUDS chicken a little more than usual – at the end of the day, it's the thought that counts. Let the new year be in your favor, and enjoy the beginning of spring – Eid-e Shoma Mobarak!

Flyby BlogFlyby FrontAround Campus