Take the Commuter Rail for a Weekend of Rest and Relaxation

By Lucyanna F. Glenn

We all know that escaping Cambridge is the number one daydream of all Harvard students, especially when they’re trying to forget that winter break is sadly over. The semester is just starting, each class seems like a vast ocean that you may get lost in, and you haven’t attended office hours yet to check that your TF is actually fine with your tendency to be late to lecture. Don’t worry: there is a solution! Why stay here and get ahead of your reading, when instead you can explore a whole new world (a.k.a. the MBTA Purple Line)? In this listicle, immerse yourself in a place with no worries, assignments, or p-sets in your way — but don’t forget: all of these places exist in *gasp* real life and are just a train ride away!

To get to the magical places of wonder and curiosity listed below, take the MBTA Purple Line (Commuter Rail) toward Newburyport/Rockport.

1) Gloucester, MA

Are you aching to stare into the coastal winds while sporting the largest scarf you own and contemplating a life at sea? It might be time to visit Gloucester, MA. During the summer (an equally valid time to go), this destination serves beachy, Lana Del Rey, cherry sundae, hot-girl-summer purposes. During the winter, however, is when your favorite film, The Lighthouse (2019) starring Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson, really comes to life. Picture this: a frozen seaport, a glacial color scheme, snow, and storm clouds brewing — nothing more is necessary for a weekend of fun. We all know that all humanities majors go feral for Willem Dafoe, let alone a quick freaky-friday identity-switcheroo with Willem’s psyche. Discover your true fisherman persona and head on over to Gloucester. Don’t forget to pack your favorite pre-waterlogged book and some appropriate snacks (artisanal bread, tinned sardines, and an egregiously large quantity of cheese).

P.S. Don’t even worry — I don’t know how to pronounce Gloucester either! (Masshole editor’s note: it’s Glaw-ster.)

2) Manchester-By-The-Sea, MA

Are you a STEM concentrator in search of some time to contemplate life decisions? Perhaps you are trying to figure out the possibilities of an artsy humanities secondary? Manchester-By-The-Sea might be for you. Anyone with an ounce of mid-west nostalgia will love this one. Discover the world where American 90s rock bands were formed — right in your own backyard! The bleak-mid-winter vibes and fisherman town (hello Irish knit wool sweater) is really quite elusive. There are so many beaches, parks, and varieties of wildlife to see in this small town. To really deep dive into your trip planning, consider watching the film Manchester By the Sea (2016), well stocked with fun cast members like your favorite closeted character from Ladybird (Lucas Hedges).

But I know what you’re thinking. Why would I want to go here if I could just go to Walden pond? Think about the introspection possibilities. The thoughtful gazes and perfect spots to read To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. This is a stem major’s biggest opportunity to cosplay being a Hum 10 freshman — but just for one weekend!

3) Ipswich, MA

Have you not stopped listening to the melancholy Charlie Brown soundtrack all break? Do you love a period drama or a Jane Austen classic? Or maybe you recently were gifted a 20th-century-era scarf/hat/mitten set from your favorite aunt? It may be time to visit Ipswich, MA. Snowy trees, ice-skating, and unforgiving winds… Ipswich really has my own heart. The major intrigue is most definitely the castle! Yes, there is a castle. Talk about a daydream fairytale. Take a quick tour there and then make a quick stop in a cozy New England bookstore or coffee shop.

P.S. Take a peak at one of my personal favorite New England art pieces, Winter at Ipswich (1908) by Theodore Wendel, to get a glimpse of your weekend ahead of time.

4) Salem, MA

Are you a Comp Lit, History, or English concentrator? Or perhaps you haven’t yet grasped that Harvard is not, in fact, Hogwarts? Or maybe you just love Charmed and make claim to a slightly overdone 90’s flannel Sabrina the Teenage Witch lifestyle? Either way, please make your overdue plans come to life and head straight to Salem, MA. We know it's not Halloween, but that didn’t come in the way of Goody Proctor or Cotton Mather, did it? Salem is a cliffscape seaside town home to the House of the Seven Gables found in, you guessed it, the book The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Not only will your souvenirs curse your entire dorm building, but the cozy cafes and lovely seascape will really make your journey worth it. And don’t forget to recreate every one of your fave scenes from Hocus Pocus (1993) — it's a Salem classic.

5) Providence, RI

Are you feeling academically overwhelmed? Have you been feeling like it's time to outsource potential romantic relationships? It might be time to take a quick trip to Providence and visit your favorite ‘no grades and barely any assignments’ people that are still your age — Brown University students! This one doesn’t take much explanation, just grab a Brown pamphlet and explore like crazy in RI. Have fun!

PSA: You can get to Providence by taking the MBTA Purple Line south to Providence/Stoughton.

And, as you continue the semester, remember: sometimes it’s better to be sad somewhere else than to be sad here!

Flyby BlogHow to Harvard