5 Things Scarier Than Spooky Season

By Tina Chen

Who needs horror movies when you have your recorded lectures to watch? They don’t call it Spooky Season for no reason. October has me in the trenches and I have encountered things far scarier than vampires or witches. Without further ado, here are five things that are scarier than Spooky Season:

Course Registration in October????

As if having “midterms” wasn’t enough, now all of a sudden we’re supposed to register for classes too? I’m not only mad that I have to lose hair over courses I don’t even want to take but you’re telling me the Q guide won’t even be out? Like, I literally can’t even form an opinion about a TikTok video without checking the comments first. How am I supposed to choose classes on my own?

My Bank Account

I swear I don’t have a spending addiction but my last bank account statement says otherwise. What’s a girl to do? My mental health is tanking, my to-do list is growing, and the only thing that makes me smile anymore is a $10 latte that is half milk, half syrup that I can sip on in a cute outfit. Spending money on unnecessary purchases + self care = it was free. Girl Math.

Life and What I’m going to do with it

Who thought it was a good idea to let barely 20-year-olds decide their entire future in the span of 4 years? I’m literally just a girl in the world! Why do I have to worry about having a job? The way that things have been going lately, I’m one mid-life crisis away from becoming a “Day in the life of a Harvard student” TikToker (it’s my dream career, actually).

The Weather

Every single year I see people talk about how scary it is that the weather is “so warm for October” or “so cold for October” but this year the weather is somehow simultaneously too warm and too cold at the same time. Why are we experiencing a different season each week? The bigger question is: Why are the lecture halls always FREEZING no matter what the temperature outside is? Someone write their thesis on the carbon footprint of the Harvard classroom air conditioners BLASTING in 60-degree weather, please.

My Sleep Schedule

There are many, MANY more things I could include on this list but unfortunately, the scariest thing of all is my horrendous sleep schedule so this is where I’m going to stop.

Despite how horrendous the month of October is during the semester, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Halloween is the one day you can be anything you want and that includes being something other than stressed. I wish you all the best of luck and pray that your Halloween is filled with all spookiness and no scariness.

Flyby BlogAround Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.