Dude That’s Rude: We Need A Break

By Courtesy of: NBC

Dear Harvard Department of Scheduling Breaks or Whatever Acronym You Call Yourself,

With Indigenous People’s Day long behind us and Thanksgiving break feeling way too far away, I can't help but be envious of all the students at other colleges who got to escape campus for a week for their fall break. It’s been months here in captivity without any non-Harvard interaction. I’d never admit it, but I do miss my brother back home. So why? Why can’t you give us a fall break? We don’t ask for much: just a River House, food that has decent seasoning, and a fall break. Is that too much to ask for?

So here’s my desperate attempt to convince you we need a fall break. Please.

One day off is NOT enough

It is sad that the only fall ‘break’ we get is a single day of observance of Indigenous People’s Day. This long-weekend is such a welcome break that so many chose to flee campus and go home, even if it’s just for an extra day. But even at home you can’t catch a break. There’s last-minute assignments to make up for Monday’s missed classes and then make up sections and then emails. So even when you are off campus, you are still working. The work HAUNTS you. It’s not a break. It’s just another day to procrastinate. It is hell.

Too Burnt Out to Go On

After continuously working or mainly thinking about all the work you have to do for over half a semester, you start to lose it. Just look at the progression of the number of joyous students on Dean Khurana’s Instagram (hint: it’s a downward trend). I’m so tired at this point in the semester, I can barely do my laundry. It wouldn’t look good if word got out that Harvard students smelled. We are dangerously close.

Thanksgiving is Too Far Away

Thanksgiving still feels so far, you’ll finally get that CAMHS appointment you requested two months ago before it comes around. As motivation to study for your midterm tomorrow, you need that extra push, that reminder that there’s light at the end of the tunnel. But the tunnel is so long. At this point, Thanksgiving seems more like a fever dream than an actual vacation. All I ask is we be like the Canadians and do our Thanksgiving in October.

We Deserve Happiness

Psst… I’m going to let you in on a little secret — WE ARE EXHAUSTED. As we all figure out how to get through this semester, four additional days of break is just a small scheduling change for unlimited happiness. So please Harvard Department of Scheduling Breaks — do better next year 😭😭

Sincerely,

Namira Mehedi

FeaturesFlyby BlogFlyby Front FeatureFlyby FrontFeatures and Series