73 Harvard Undergrads Win 2024 Hoopes Prize for Senior Theses

Faculty of Arts and Sciences to Consider Starting Faculty Senate Planning Process

Harvard To Install 3-Foot Barriers During Freshmen Move Out as Yard Remains Occupied

Harvard Extension Student Association Elections Abruptly Postponed Over Alleged Campaign Rules Violations

Some Want the Harvard Corporation to Strip Garber’s Interim Tag. Is That Possible?

Phoebe Go Concert Review: From Snakadaktal to Solo Stardom

Phoebe Go performed at Brighton Music Hall on Feb. 2.
Phoebe Go performed at Brighton Music Hall on Feb. 2. By Courtesy of Naomi Davison
By Abigail A. Golden, Crimson Staff Writer

“I’m Phoebe Go. Thanks for having me.”

On Feb. 2, in the midst of Briston Maroney’s ‘Ultrapure’ Tour frenzy, the crowd at Brighton Music Hall bore witness to a mesmerizing prelude by the enigmatic Melbourne-based musician Phoebe Lou — known by her artist moniker Phoebe Go. This performance marked Go’s solo debut in Boston. Known for her former roles in beloved indie-pop acts like Snakadaktal and Two People, Go embarked on a journey of self-discovery, presenting her distinctive alt-pop sound to an eager audience.

As Go took the stage, the earsplitting cheers and reverent attention she received made clear that even though Go was the opening act, she was certainly the main draw for many in the audience. With a coy smile, she launched into her set, her acoustic guitar serving as the vessel for her raw emotion and ethereal melodies. With particularly poignant selections like “We Don’t Talk” and “Something You Were Trying,” Go’s music was melancholic and haunting, thick with the influence of the musicians before her.

Throughout her performance, Go effortlessly navigated the space of the intimate venue, inviting listeners new and old into her repertoire with every strum of her guitar. There was an ease to her performance that demonstrated her comfort on the stage as she effortlessly punctuated her set with jokes.

“Yeah, I’m not from here. That’s why I sound weird,” she quipped about her accent early in the set, earning several laughs across the hall.

One of the evening’s standout moments came with the performance of “7 Up,” a newer release that showcased Go’s ability to seamlessly blend introspective lyrics with acoustic brilliance. Her stage presence and delivery were spellbinding.

But the most striking aspect of Go’s performance was the palpable sense of vulnerability that permeated her music. Each song was another layer of her persona peeled back, showcasing a remarkable undercurrent of honesty and authenticity. Though a solo career is certainly a novel development, Go’s spirit that evening made it a welcome one.

As her set came to a close, Go addressed the crowd with earnest gratitude, her humility and appreciation for those in attendance well apparent. With her captivating exhibition, she proved that she was not just an opener but a force to be reckoned with in her own right, leaving a lasting impression on the hearts and minds of all who were fortunate enough to experience her live.

In the end, Go’s concert was more than just a performance. It was a journey of self-discovery and artistic revelation. With her full-bodied acoustic sound and unwavering authenticity, Go has emerged as a rising star within the alt-pop scene, and her concert was a testament to the power of musical evolution.

—Staff writer Abigail A. Golden can be reached at abigail.golden@thecrimson.com.

MusicArtsMetro Arts