Harvard Yard to Remain Indefinitely Closed Amid Encampment

Harvard Board of Overseers Candidates Question Lack of Transparency in Selection Process

Case for Best Picture: ‘Elvis’

This writer casts their Best Picture ballot for "Elvis"
This writer casts their Best Picture ballot for "Elvis" By Nayeli Cardozo
By Anna Mikhaylyants, Contributing Writer

Elvis, The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll, was the ultimate teenage heartthrob of the 1950s who now, — with his renowned provocative dancing, greased-back black hair, and mesmerizing voice — has been brought back to life by Austin Butler in Baz Luhrmann’s “Elvis.”

Audiences watched the life of Elvis Presley from the perspective of Colonel Tom Parker, played by Tom Hanks, who was Presley’s questionable manager. Parker wakes up alone in a hospital room in Las Vegas, with papers and newscasters labeling him as a crook, a manipulator, and a cheat who took advantage of the young talent. So the movie is Parker’s attempt at explaining himself and telling the story of Elvis’s rise to fame and eventual fall.

The movie brings together audiences of all ages; typical moviegoers, teenagers, and even those who were fans during Elvis’s prime. The audience will surely enjoy the extraordinary performance of Austin Butler, which captures the whole essence of Presley — from his sideburns to his gravel voice. Butler’s performance is transformative, as seen in a major sequence of Elvis’s performance. You can see Elvis transform from a nervous kid with trembling legs behind the stage to a performer whose strong voice travels into the hearts of girls in the audience — carried by charm, charisma, and raw emotion. Butler became Elvis. He captured both the vulnerability of Presley as he faces rejection, as well as the highs when Elvis eventually falls in love with his wife, Priscilla.

Although it is predominantly a musical drama, the movie does more than tell the story of Elvis: It tells the story of a changing America. Elvis had been raised in a predominantly Black neighborhood, growing up with soul music that was crucial to the formation of his own style. His style was not accepted by many at the time; yet, he continued to perform to make his family proud. A scene in the film shows the suggestive nature of Elvis’s dancing and sound, earning him the title of “A white boy with Black moves.” Elvis’s main musical inspirations came from his childhood from the sounds of famous Black artists. The film highlights the racial controversies that arose from Elvis’s music as they fit into a broader conversation of racial dynamics and fame during the 1950s. The movie does a spectacular job of pointing out the tense social atmosphere at the time with threats of Elvis’s arrest and the transformation of his image.

“Elvis” is an ever-changing film with eye-catching sets and a color palette indicative of a rich and bustling lifestyle of vibrant Las Vegas shows, gambling, and fame. Butler revived an icon of American culture through his electrifying performances and a spot-on accent. Although an American icon, “Elvis” maintains relatability among audiences with its themes of family and love, which makes it a standout in the Best Picture category.

“Elvis” is deserving of the Best Picture Award. It had everything, with fantastic production and costume design, flowing storyline, and dazzling performances that made me wish I was one of the girls losing my voice and hollering at Elvis Presley myself!

FilmArts