Harvard President Garber Breaks Silence on Encampment, Threatens ‘Involuntary Leave’ for Protesters

Garber Is Taking a Patient Approach to the Harvard Encampment. So Far, It’s Working.

Cambridge City Manager Unveils Nearly $1 Billion 2025 Operating City Budget Proposal

Harvard Square Homeless Shelter Debuts Renovations To Adapt To 6-Month Stays

HUPD ‘Far More Vigilant’ on Campus Amid Increased Threats Against Students Following Oct. 7

Little Image at Paradise Rock Club: A Big Show for a Small Band

Little Image performed at Paradise Rock Club on March 8th
Little Image performed at Paradise Rock Club on March 8th By Courtesy of Selina Lin
By Selina Lin, Contributing Writer

In the intimate setting of Boston’s Paradise Rock Club, audience members gathered around on the floor in front of the stage, standing mere feet away from alternative band Little Image during the band’s March 8 performance. The sounds of heavy bass and snare drums filled up the entire venue easily, reverberating through every member of the audience and reaching every corner of the room. Even the smallest movements by the members were observable to viewers, despite how far they stood.

For Little Image — a small indie rock band hailing from Dallas, Texas — the intimacy of the venue didn’t seem to hinder their performance at all, nor did it subdue the excitement and action of their performance. This band of three has been opening for American indie rock band Colony House’s “The Cannonballers” tour for the past month, and played several songs from their upcoming album, “SELF-TITLED,” along with a few fan favorites from their previous works and debut album, “Musings.”

Dressed in custom black suits covered in little white doodles and song names, vocalist Jackson “Jack” Simmons, drummer Troy Bruner, and bass and synth player Brandon Walters immediately drew the attention of the crowd as they entered the red-lit stage, prepping for a vocal and instrumental intensive set. Simmons effortlessly took center stage, with Bruner to his right and Walters to his left, before greeting an enthusiastic crowd with remarks about how excited he was to perform in Boston again.

image id=1362248 align=center size=large caption=true

The stage production was simple. Bright lights shone down on a raised stage in the otherwise dimly-lit venue. A light fog under a collection of miniature flashing multi-colored spotlights gave a futuristic feel to the entire experience, especially as Little Image played some of their grungier pieces like “WORTH IT” with vocal distortions. As the lights changed with the moods of each song, the audience was bathed in shades of blue, red, white, green, and other colors.

Despite some of the audience’s unfamiliarity with Little Image’s music, the band’s exceptional stage presence kept the audience invested in each song. Simmons's vocal confidence, oscillating between soothing lullabies and screeching metal in songs like “BALLET,” added an extra flair to the band’s music. Bruner stuck with straightforward, heavy drumming, and Walters could be seen alternating between playing his guitar and layering tracks on his synth keyboard. Similarly, Bruner and Walters leaned into playing slightly extended versions of songs from their band's upcoming album, adding extra measures or filling gaps with rhythmic drum groove-fills and impressive guitar riffs. While the audience may not have sung along to all of their songs, Walters's guitar and Bruner’s drums filled in the gaps between Simmon’s singing, as these unexpected yet beautifully executed additions left the audience cheering in approval.

image id=1362252 align=center size=large caption=true

Simmons stood out as Simmons moved about the stage with the familiarity of a seasoned performer, hopping about as he sang through the group’s heavier rock tracks like “EGO” and “OUT OF MY MIND.” As the band’s lead vocalist and unofficial frontman, he spoke on behalf of the other members, introducing himself and his bandmates to the audience. At one point during the show, he even took a brief pause between songs to point out a woman in the audience who was wearing a blazer that nearly matched his and his bandmates’ custom white-doodled ones. After spotting her in the crowd, he even invited the fan onstage to ask about the blazer and how she had made it. The audience cheered so loudly at the sight that the woman’s answer was lost to the crowd’s volume. At another point, toward the end of the set, Simmons encouraged the audience to “get low” before jumping into the air as he sang one of the group’s unreleased songs.

While their music was new, Little Image’s overall energy and enthusiasm were contagious and familiar. The power and flair added to each part of this show opener indicate that the members of Little Image not only love to perform but also know how to put on a captivating show. If anything, this band brought out the magic of attending a live show. Improvised vocals, scratchy riffs, and flashy drumming topped off with mood-setting lighting and a slightly foggy atmosphere — in a small, intimate venue, Little Image managed to put on a big, brilliant opening show.