Majority of Harvard FAS Faculty Dispute Presence of ‘Systemic Antisemitism’ on Campus in Survey

Harvard Board of Overseers Candidates Question Lack of Transparency in Selection Process

Day 2 of Harvard Yard Encampment Faces Greater Threat of Disciplinary Action

‘What’s for Dessert’ Review: Claire Saffitz Delivers Exquisite Recipes and Sweet Stories

5 Stars

The Harvard Crimson Arts board thought that Claire Saffitz's salty cashew blondies were delicious.
The Harvard Crimson Arts board thought that Claire Saffitz's salty cashew blondies were delicious. By Nina M. Foster
By Nina M. Foster, Crimson Staff Writer

A stressed dinner host plans the evening’s menu: appetizers, a show-stopping entree, and complementary side dishes. After gathering recipes and finalizing a grocery list, the all-important question crosses their mind: What’s for dessert?

Claire J. Saffitz ’09 has the answer. Her latest cookbook, “What’s for Dessert: Simple Recipes for Dessert People,” contains over 100 accessible, innovative, and delicious recipes to serve as a satisfying sweet treat at the end of any meal. After tasting one of her recipes, The Harvard Crimson Arts board gave Saffitz a resounding seal of approval.

The YouTube star is a warm and welcoming guide through the book’s array of “happiness-inducing desserts,” from simple loaf cakes to elevated soufflés. Saffitz befriends readers in the introduction by inviting them into her home, where the question of what’s for dessert is an everyday occurrence. Through charming personal anecdotes and advice on how to bake with less anxiety, she presents herself as a friend rather than celebrity, adopting an informal tone to offer years of culinary wisdom.

The most unique and useful element of “What’s for Dessert” is its recipe matrix. Saffitz lays out the name of every recipe in the book across two pages, arranging them on an x-axis of total time and a y-axis of difficulty, which extends from very easy to moderate. The tool is perfect for readers who don't feel like flipping through hundreds of pages to find a recipe that fits their needs; they can pinpoint everything from an easy, last-minute bake like her molten chocolate olive oil cakes to a moderate, six-hour recipe like her pillowy beignets without turning a page.

Saffitz remains a constant presence throughout the cookbook, introducing every recipe with a blurb that describes her personal connection to the dessert. Most importantly, her directions are simple and straightforward; “What’s for Dessert” is far from pretentious, allowing beginner and experienced bakers alike to complete the recipes with ease. She anticipates any questions that may arise, ending her recipes with a “Can I…” section that covers ingredient substitutions, whether the dessert can be made ahead, and more. In Disney’s “Ratatouille,” Chef Gusteau tells his fans, “anyone can cook.” Saffitz is the lovable chef’s real-life equivalent, encouraging her readers with the implicit message that anyone can bake.

Putting Saffitz to the test, The Harvard Crimson decided to bake her salty cashew blondies. The recipe was chosen for its minimal ingredients — ideal for college students who lack access to a full pantry — and total preparation time of only one hour and 15 minutes. Instructions for preparing the batter were clear and easy to follow, but still required enough attention and effort to make anyone feel like a bona fide “Great British Baking Show” contestant. The addition of homemade toffee-covered cashews elevated the basic blondie batter to something that, once baked, could be presented with an extra bit of pride.

The final product was distributed at an Arts board production night. Editors mumbled praise between mouthfuls, ranging from “This is really good” to “It’s so fluffy.” They were impressed by the blondie’s crunchy exterior and chewy interior, a rich toffee flavor that didn’t cross the threshold into sickly sweetness, and the perfect amount of cashews — all in all, a sweeping success.

Saffitz’s latest release is a valuable resource for anyone who identifies as a dessert person. She acts as a helpful, instructive guide while leaving room for flexibility, adaptation, and exploration. The book is also a work of art: With bright, colorful food photography, it can serve as a coffee table book as well as a collection of recipes. “What’s for Dessert” delighted the Arts board, and it’s bound to do the same for dessert people everywhere.

—Staff writer Nina M. Foster can be reached at nina.foster@thecrimson.com.

BooksArts