Harvard Kicks Off Search for Dean of School of Engineering and Applied Sciences

Harvard kicked off the search for the next dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Thursday.
Harvard kicked off the search for the next dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Thursday. By Joey Huang
By Edona Cosovic and Mert Geyiktepe, Crimson Staff Writers

The search for the next dean of Harvard’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences has officially kicked off, Faculty of Arts and Sciences Dean and University President-elect Claudine Gay announced in an email to SEAS affiliates Thursday afternoon.

Gay announced a 13-member faculty advisory committee tasked with spearheading the search process. The committee will “gather community feedback” to assist Gay in assessing the candidates.

Gay also invited all SEAS members to share their thoughts and recommendations by March 10 on “the challenges and opportunities” at the School and “the most important qualities needed in the next SEAS Dean.”

Francis J. Doyle III will step down as dean of SEAS on June 30 to become Brown University’s next provost. Thursday’s announcement comes as three other Harvard deans are set to depart their roles at the end of the academic year.

In her email, Gay praised Doyle’s contributions during his tenure.

“I’m deeply grateful to Frank for his ambitious and forward-thinking leadership of SEAS, his collaborative efforts across the University and beyond, and his energy and enthusiasm,” Gay wrote.

Gay said she is looking forward to the next chapter for the School.

“This is an exciting moment to identify a dynamic new leader for SEAS, who will build on the important successes of the past several years,” she wrote.

—Staff writer Edona Cosovic can be reached at edona.cosovic@thecrimson.com.

—Staff writer Mert Geyiktepe can be reached at mert.geyiktepe@thecrimson.com.

FAS AdministrationSEASFront Middle FeatureFeatured Articles