The Photos That Captured 2022

By The Crimson Photo Staff
By Julian J. Giordano

Here is a look back at some of the major events of 2022 in photos, in which Harvard’s campus returned to normalcy in the wake of Covid-19 and looked to its future under a new University president, as documented by The Crimson’s photojournalists.

By Julian J. Giordano

Hasty Pudding Theatricals named actress Jennifer Garner as its 2022 Woman of the Year. The organization held a parade in her honor on Feb. 5, resuming a tradition that was scrapped in 2021 due to pandemic restrictions.

Hundreds of Harvard affiliates walked out of class on Feb. 15 and held a rally in Harvard Yard in protest of the University’s handling of sexual harassment claims against Anthropology and African American Studies Professor John L. Comaroff.

Following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February, hundreds gathered in Harvard Yard to express their solidarity with Ukraine.

Visitas, which affords admitted students the opportunity to learn about life at Harvard, returned in an in-person format in April for the first time in three years.

Rapper Swae Lee headlined the first in-person Yardfest since 2019, performing before hundreds of students in Tercentenary Theatre.

In May, the University held commencement ceremonies for the Classes of 2020, 2021, and 2022, the first in-person ceremonies since 2019.

New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern was the commencement speaker for the Class of 2022, calling on graduates to treat others with empathy and protect democracy.

United States Attorney General Merrick B. Garland ’74 asked the Classes of 2020 and 2021 to take up careers in public service and “fulfill the promise of democracy.”

The 57th edition of the Head of the Charles Regatta took place in October. The three-day competition attracted thousands of spectators.

In late October, the Supreme Court heard oral arguments in two lawsuits filed by the organization Students for Fair Admissions against Harvard College and the University of North Carolina, challenging the legality of race-based affirmative action.

Hundreds rallied in downtown Washington as pro-affirmative action and anti-affirmative actions held dueling rallies ahead of oral arguments, including many Harvard students who traveled to the nation’s capital to make their voices heard.

In November, the Harvard-Yale football game returned to Harvard Stadium for the first time since 2016. The 138th rendition of The Game ended in a 19-14 Yale victory.

A federal jury acquitted former Harvard fencing coach Peter Brand and Harvard College parent Jie “Jack” Zhao of all charges. The two were accused of engaging in a bribery scheme to help Zhao’s sons gain admission to Harvard.

In December, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Claudine Gay was selected to succeed president Lawrence S. Bacow, concluding a swift five-month search. She will be the 30th president of the University.

Year in PhotosPhoto EssayFront Photo Feature