What the Hell Happened: Fans Call for Ezra Miller to be Fired over ‘Choking’ Scandal

Ezra Miller attends the Hamptons International Film Festival Baume & Mercier Party in 2011. Photo by Nick Stepowyj.
Ezra Miller attends the Hamptons International Film Festival Baume & Mercier Party in 2011. Photo by Nick Stepowyj. By Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
By Julia R. Kennish, Crimson Staff Writer

Ezra Miller is a name perhaps most synonymous with cult-classic movie roles and jaw-dropping red carpet fashion appearances — but for the past week their name has circulated on social media for a less than stellar reason.

On April 5, a video was uploaded to Twitter which showed Miller appearing to choke a young woman before pushing her to the ground outside a bar in Reykjavík, Iceland.

On April 1 at 6:00 p.m., witnesses say that Miller was confronted by a group of “pushy” fans at the bar Prikið Kaffihús. The video shows one of the women in the group approaching Miller with her hands waving in the air, to which Miller responded “Do you want to fight?” Miller then proceeded to wrap both their hands around the woman’s neck, push her against a dumpster, and then to the ground. The man filming appears to be initially unfazed, but as the woman hits the ground, he appears to grow concerned, repeating, “Woah bro, bro, bro,” and then immediately stopping his recording.

While it is not clear from the video itself if the nature of this confrontation was intended to be playful — and then perhaps crossed a line — a source at the bar claims the incident was categorically not a joke and that Miller was subsequently escorted off the property by bar staff. However, Reykjavík police were never called to investigate the altercation, and they have confirmed that Miller is not currently under investigation or facing charges.

Miller has many notable roles to their name, but perhaps the most high-profile is the Flash, also known as Barry Allen, in the current DC Extended Universe. They previously played this role in “Justice League,” but their standalone Flash film is set to be released in 2022. Fans of the DCEU immediately took to Twitter not only to ask Warner Brothers to remove Miller from the role, but also specifically to suggest that the role be taken over by Grant Gustin, who plays The Flash in the CW television series. One fan, @drewshabitauls, tweeted “Grant Gustin is talented, a dork, has the biggest heart, is the best Barry Allen and most importantly never attacked anyone.”

Ezra Miller and Warner Brothers have yet to comment on the incident.

— Staff writer Julia Kennish can be reached at julia.kennish@thecrimson.com.

ArtsCulture