More Than 300 Harvard Faculty Urge Garber To Negotiate with Pro-Palestine Protesters

Protesters March To Harvard President Garber’s Home, Demand Start of Negotiations

The Harvard Crimson Raises More Than $15 Million in Historic Capital Campaign

Harvard Innovation Labs Co-Founder Jodi Goldstein To Serve as Coop CEO

Protesters Won’t Say if Harvard Encampment Will Continue as Garber Threatens Major Disciplinary Action

After Double Snow Day, Students Urged To Be Flexible

A student walks down Plympton St. on Monday evening, flanked by growing piles of snow. Amid forecasts of more wintry weather, administrators made the decision to suspend most operations at the University on Tuesday.
By Melissa C. Rodman, Crimson Staff Writer

After a double snow day prompted the College and many other Harvard schools to cancel classes for the third time this semester, administrators are wondering how to make up for lost instructional time.

In an email sent to all College students Tuesday afternoon, Dean of Undergraduate Education Jay M. Harris called on them to be flexible with their schedules to fit in make-up classes. “I’m writing to enlist your help as we work with course instructors to schedule make-up lectures, seminars, and sections for those that could not be held due to the weather,” he wrote.

Harris provided several ideas for making up coursework, suggesting that individual professors and their students work to find mutually convenient times on a class-by-class basis.

“Some possibilities include evenings, extended classes, and holding make-up classes on Fridays, when few regularly-scheduled courses meet,” he wrote in the email.

Some professors, however, had classes affected by multiple school closings and are finding it challenging to work around the lost time.

“Between the storm the first week of classes and this one, I’ve lost at least three class sessions,” philosophy professor Edward J. Hall said.

Hall said he plans to poll his students to find a make-up time that works best. “Probably what I’ll end up doing is having two evening sections that are optional but encouraged,” he said.

Although Harris wrote that professors should “do our best to hold make-up classes during the instructional term rather than Reading Period,” he also wrote that “in some cases this will not be possible, and some classes will have to meet during Reading Period.”

Harris could not be reached for comment.

—Staff writer Melissa C. Rodman can be reached at melissa.rodman@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @melissa_rodman

CollegeCollege AdministrationFASFAS AdministrationAcademicsSnowCollege NewsWeather