Cambridge City Council Will Form Special Committee To Consider Charter Amendments

After 2 Fatal Collisions, Cambridge City Council Calls for Stronger Truck Regulations

Harvard Task Forces Release First Recommendations on Antisemitism, Anti-Arab and Anti-Muslim Bias

Eighth Grade Algebra 1 Courses Delayed Until 2026, Cambridge Officials Say

Harvard Places 10 Graduate Students on Probation for Encampment Participation

Historic Heat Wave Reignites Debate About Lack of AC in Harvard Housing

This week's heat wave has reignited a recurring debate regarding the lack of AC in most Harvard dormitories and school regulations that restrict the use of AC units.
This week's heat wave has reignited a recurring debate regarding the lack of AC in most Harvard dormitories and school regulations that restrict the use of AC units. By The Crimson Photo Staff
By Elyse C. Goncalves, Crimson Staff Writer

As a heat wave descended on Cambridge, students living on campus sought relief from the scorching temperatures — just not in their dorm rooms.

Without air conditioning in many Harvard dormitories, students said they struggled to sleep at night as temperatures reached triple digits and stayed late into the night at other campus buildings with AC.

“I stay in the office and work until late at night, just because I don’t want to go back because it’s too hot,” said Henry Bae ’25. “A lot of people don’t go back to their rooms early, because it’s so hot these days.”

During the summer, Harvard offers housing to students taking courses, independent housing applicants, and students participating in research programs. The vast majority of Harvard’s undergraduate housing does not feature air conditioning.

Pranav S. Ganta ’25, who is currently living in Cronkhite, said the heat has prevented him from sleeping.

“I don’t go to sleep until 2 or 3 a.m. because it’s so hot,” Ganta said. “I don’t even use a blanket.”

Boston Mayor Michelle Wu ’07 declared a heat emergency in Boston from Tuesday to Thursday this week as the city rolled out 14 cooling centers and a new system of misting towers located at fire stations and parks. The city of Cambridge also provided locals with places to go in the sweltering heat.

The Dean of Students Office and summer research program organizers have also sent out cautionary announcements of their own to summer residents, including a list of campus locations equipped with AC.

Additionally, the DSO hosted a “summer cool down” in Quincy Courtyard on Tuesday evening with water balloons and kiddie pools, as well as cold drinks and desserts.

The heat wave has also reignited a recurring debate regarding the lack of AC in most Harvard dormitories and school regulations that restrict the use of AC units.

Air conditioners are forbidden in Harvard dorms unless students submit a medical request through the Accessibility Services Office, according to the Harvard Summer student handbook. Students who install unauthorized ACs will be “held financially responsible for all accrued costs,” the handbook reads.

Geovanni Garcia Gonzalez, a student at Arizona State University staying in Mather House for the summer, said that his experience in the Arizona desert was not enough to avoid feeling the heat in Harvard dorms without air conditioning.

“I’m waking up during the night a little bit more just because I’m a little bit uncomfortable,” Garcia Gonzalez said, adding that he was surprised Harvard doesn’t offer AC units to all students.

The weather has had an effect on prospective students and tourists as well, disrupting information sessions and student-led tours, according to Harvard Admissions tour guide Mayesha R. Soshi ’24.

“Since it’s so hot, just for safety concerns, we switched up the schedule so that we sent people out to tours as people were coming in, and we canceled the info session so that student tour guides wouldn’t be outside for peak heat time,” said Soshi, a former Crimson News executive.

She said the change in scheduling caused confusion amongst many tour attendees and increased the number of cancellations. When tourists do arrive, they’re “a bit more agitated,” according to Eli C. Bostic ’27, who is also working in the admissions office giving tours this summer.

“It’s horrible. We have to give tours in this weather and it is extremely sweaty,” Bostic said. “Everyone gets a bit more annoyed in the heat.”

“I feel like if they wanted to make sure students are safe they could provide us with AC,” Bostic added. “I think it’s almost neglectful not to, especially with the heat this bad.”

Bae said he expects that Harvard will soon have to install AC units as a safety measure, adding that he currently stays at his office late at night because his dorm is too hot to return to.

“Global warming is gonna make it hotter and hotter and at a certain point, they’re gonna have to install it, I feel like, or people are going to start dying in their rooms,” Bae said.

College spokesperson Jonathan Palumbo said the College ensures that they “offer guidance” to students dealing with the heat “that is often experienced as part of a New England summer.”

Still, as Boston clocked its hottest June 19 in recorded history, some students remained largely unbothered.

Bradley T. Thomas, a student from New Mexico, said he isn’t used to the humidity in Boston, but has been trying not to let the weather affect him.

“I try to not be outside as much, try to go within like buildings with AC, mostly stay in the shade, drink a lot of water,” he said. “Don’t let the heat bring you down.”

—Ben H. Brown contributed reporting.

—Staff writer Elyse C. Goncalves can be reached at elyse.goncalves@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @e1ysegoncalves or on Threads @elyse.goncalves.

CollegeHouse LifeCollege AdministrationCollege LifeFront Middle FeatureFeatured ArticlesHousing