Adams House Residents Express Security Concerns Following Renovations

Westmorly Court is one of several Adams building currently under renovation. Some Adams residents expressed security concerns as the renovation project continues.
Westmorly Court is one of several Adams building currently under renovation. Some Adams residents expressed security concerns as the renovation project continues. By Sami E. Turner
By Danielle J. Im and Jackson C. Sennott, Crimson Staff Writers

Following the annual Adams House Renewal town hall in February, residents expressed concerns about security issues and a lack of responsiveness to student feedback.

Adams House has been under renovation since 2019 as part of Harvard’s House Renewal Project. The renovation of two Adams buildings — Randolph Hall in 2023 and Claverly Hall in 2021 – are completed, and students have since moved in.

Last month, Adams residents reported theft of more than $8,000 worth of possessions from Randolph, blaming a faulty gate that has remained unaddressed since the completion of the renovations last year.

Seattle L. Hickey ’25 said student concerns on security have not been adequately addressed.

“Security is an issue, especially since our house is so close to the yard,” Hickey said. “That not being taken seriously by them is definitely a concern.”

Hickey also said Adams residents have had issues with locking their doors.

“Other Randolph residents have talked about how they have to be locking their doors super hard to make it close, which shouldn't be an issue,” she said.

Adams resident Andrew C. Nober ’25 also expressed concerns about responsiveness to student feedback.

“I do wish as a student there was greater transparency in the process,” he said, though he added that students are the “best sources” for what House life should look like.

Harvard College spokesperson Jonathan Paulmbo wrote in an emailed statement that the College is “excited to continue partnering with the Adams House community throughout House Community as the work of House Renewal continues.”

“Students who have questions or feedback can share them through our regular channels,” Palumbo wrote.

One priority during the House Renewal project is preserving the distinct historical features of each house.

“I think that they're doing a great job of keeping the history of everything,” Hickey said. “I went to the town hall, and they mentioned a lot of things that they’re focused on, like accessibility, making sure the space is usable, that a lot of structural issues are addressed.”

According to Palumbo, the University surveyed each House and “identified significant interior spaces and elements that should be preserved” early on in the renovation process.

“A lot of historical spaces have been kept, and they're still gorgeous to sit in,” Hickey said.

—Staff Writer Danielle J. Im can be reached at danielle.im@thecrimson.com.

—Staff writer Jackson C. Sennott can be reached at jackson.sennott@thecrimson.com.

CollegeCollege LifeAdams