Harvard Board of Overseers Candidates Question Lack of Transparency in Selection Process

Harvard College Dean Khurana Says He Does Not Expect To Be Considered for Presidency

Dean Khurana speaks to The Crimson in a February interview. Khurana said he does not expect to be considered for the Harvard presidency in an interview Tuesday.
Dean Khurana speaks to The Crimson in a February interview. Khurana said he does not expect to be considered for the Harvard presidency in an interview Tuesday. By Addison Y. Liu
By Michelle N. Amponsah and Joyce E. Kim, Crimson Staff Writers

Dean of the College Rakesh Khurana said he does not expect to be considered for the Harvard presidency in an interview with The Crimson on Tuesday.

“I love my current job,” Khurana said. “I don’t expect to be considered.”

Former President Claudine Gay’s abrupt resignation in January triggered the University’s worst leadership crisis in decades. Alan M. Garber ’76, longtime University provost, assumed the role of interim president immediately after Gay stepped down.

Gay’s resignation also forced Harvard Corporation Senior Fellow Penny S. Pritzker ’81 to launch the University’s second presidential search in less than three years, as she attempts to find a steady hand to helm the University and guide it out of the current turmoil.

More than two months into Garber’s tenure as interim president, Pritzker has not announced a presidential search committee. The delay stands in stark contrast to Harvard’s two most recent presidential searches, in which search committees were formed on a faster timeline.

While Khurana, a former faculty dean of Cabot House, was not rumored to be a strong candidate to succeed Gay as the University’s 31st president, his comments all but confirm he will not receive an interview with the presidential search committee.

Since stepping into the role of interim president, Garber has taken steps to amend Harvard’s deeply-divided campus and win back donor support for the University.

Last fall, the College was marked by protests following the Israel-Hamas war and Khurana’s role as dean came under heightened scrutiny.

In particular, Gay faced questions during her December congressional testimony about antisemitism on campus and Khurana’s handling of a Nov. 17 occupation of University Hall by nine pro-Palestine student organizers.

At the start of the spring semester, Garber sent a University-wide email to remind affiliates about Harvard’s policies on protest and dissent on campus and announced the formation of twin task forces to combat antisemitism and Islamophobia.

Garber also recently traveled to London and Miami to speak with donors and alumni about the current state of the University.

But in the interview, Khurana declined to directly state whether he would support Garber remaining in his role as president beyond an interim capacity.

“I enjoy working with interim President Garber and will always support whoever the leadership is of the institution I work for,” Khurana said.

“I’m grateful that interim President Garber has stepped into the role,” he added. “I’ve worked with interim President Garber for many years and have only the utmost respect for his judgment, integrity, and commitment to Harvard University’s research and teaching mission.”

—Staff writer Michelle N. Amponsah can be reached at michelle.amponsah@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X at @mnamponsah.

—Staff writer Joyce E. Kim can be reached at joyce.kim@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X at @joycekim324.

CollegeCentral AdministrationCollege AdministrationUniversityFront FeatureRakesh KhuranaAlan GarberPresidential SearchFeatured Articles