Harvard Hall Final Exam Locations Changed as Harvard Yard Encampment Enters Second Week

Amid Encampment, Cambridge City Council Discusses Resolution Supporting Student Right to Protest

Harvard Corporation to Review Presidential Search Process as Faculty Demand Transparency

House Committee’s Harvard Antisemitism Investigation Expanded to House-Wide Probe

Harvard Center for Astrophysics Facing Financial Strain Following NASA Budget Cuts

Men’s Swim and Dive Sweeps HYP Meet, Women’s Team Splits its Two Contests

Harvard men's and women's swim and dive competed against their Ivy League rivals last weekend.
Harvard men's and women's swim and dive competed against their Ivy League rivals last weekend. By Cory K. Gorczycki

The annual Harvard-Yale-Princeton meet last weekend saw the Harvard men’s (6-2, 6-1 Ivy) and women’s (5-2, 5-2 Ivy) swimming and diving teams make waves at Princeton’s DeNunzio Pool, with the former going undefeated on the weekend and the latter going 1-1 after beating Yale but losing to Princeton. The Crimson athletes showcased their prowess against their Ivy League rivals, the Bulldogs and the 24th-ranked Tigers, with both teams aiming to back up their impressive records going in.

Women’s Recap: A Close Contest with Princeton and Yale

The Harvard women’s team entered the meet with high hopes, following a 191-109 victory over Penn on Jan. 20th. The Crimson’s divers, fresh off a win at Florida State, continued their dominance by securing the top spots in both diving events. Sophomore Nina Janmyr led the charge, winning the one- and three-meter boards, setting the tone for the team’s strong performance.

In the swimming lanes, sophomore Anya Mostek and junior Mandy Brenner emerged as standouts, with Mostek winning the 100 back and 100 free, and Brenner taking the 50 free. Their efforts contributed significantly to Harvard’s victories in the 200 medley and 400 free relays.

Despite these achievements, the Crimson faced stiff competition from Yale and Princeton. At the end of the two-day meet, Harvard managed to surpass Yale with a score of 172-128 but fell short against Princeton, 183-117. Janmyr continued to excel, winning the one-meter and platform diving events, highlighting the team’s strong diving program.

Men’s Recap: Winning Streak Continues

The men’s team came into HYP with a recent history of success, having won the last five consecutive meets. Despite a recent setback against Penn, the Crimson divers and swimmers were ready to rebound. Junior Adam Wesson remained unbeaten in the one-meter dive, and sophomore Denny Gulia-Janovski clinched the three-meter title, showcasing Harvard’s depth in diving.

Senior diver Nick Nocita shared his thoughts on the competition, emphasizing the unique blend of individual effort and team spirit that defines the sport. "Going in, it is really exciting. Both Yale and Princeton, especially Princeton, are really strong teams. It's always pretty nerve-wracking," Nocita said, emphasizing the anticipation leading up to the meet.

Nocita also highlighted the strategic importance of diving events, particularly the 1-meter dive, where Harvard divers traditionally excel. "The first two on the men's side started with 1-meter diving. Winning the first relay was a super empowering thing for us," he added, underlining the motivational boost such victories provide the team.

On the swimming front, senior Will Grant and sophomore David Greeley led with victories in the 100 back and 100 free. The team’s performance was bolstered by strong showings in relays, setting a positive tone for the meet.

The determination paid off as Harvard dominated the field, securing a 253.5-99.5 victory over Yale and a narrow 198.5-154.5 win over Princeton. This triumph marked the continuation of Harvard's dominance at the HYP meet, with the relay teams and individual swimmers like first-year David Schmitt — who won the 100-yard butterfly with a time of 47.10 seconds — asserting their strength.

Nocita also spoke about the growth and intimidation factor young swimmers like Schmitt bring to the team. "To have a first year come in and be very successful, it's really big, it definitely intimidates the other teams," Nocita said, acknowledging the impact fresh talent has on Harvard's swimming dynamics.

Looking Ahead

Both teams are now setting their sights on upcoming competitions, with the women’s team heading to the BU Winter Open and the men preparing for the Ivy League Championships. Harvard’s performance at the HYP meet has set a high bar, and the athletes are poised to carry this momentum forward.

Looking ahead, Nocita discussed the anticipation and strategic planning for the Ivy League Championships, stressing the importance of maintaining focus and pushing through the rigorous training schedule. "It's a long time, and we just have to put in a lot of work because I know Princeton is hungry for a win, so we have to make sure that we are not just putting in as much work but more than them to stay ahead at the next meet," he stated, emphasizing the competitive spirit that drives the team.

As the season advances, both groups look set to capitalize on their strong showings at the HYP meet. The women will take on Boston University this Friday, Feb. 9, while the women’s Ivy League Championships is set to kick off on Wednesday, Feb. 21 in Providence, R.I. The men’s team will wait to compete next until the Ivy Championships, which take place at home at Blodgett Pool starting on Wednesday, Feb. 28. They will be streamed on ESPN+.

—Staff writer Maisa Ali can be reached at maisa.ali@thecrimson.com.

Men's SwimmingWomen's SwimmingSports Features