Faculty of Arts and Sciences Lacks Confidence in Harvard’s Governing Boards, Per Survey

Jeremy Weinstein Will Serve as Next Harvard Kennedy School Dean, Garber Confirms

More Than 30 Students to Appear Before Harvard College Ad Board for Pro-Palestine Yard Encampment

As Students Occupy Harvard Yard, Faculty Urge Against Police Response

Maya Rudolph Dropped Out as Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year

The Hasty Pudding Theatricals initally selected Maya Rudolph as the group's 2024 Woman of the Year.
The Hasty Pudding Theatricals initally selected Maya Rudolph as the group's 2024 Woman of the Year. By Allison G. Lee
By Joyce E. Kim, Crimson Staff Writer

The Hasty Pudding Theatricals originally selected Maya Rudolph as the organization’s 2024 Women of the Year before she pulled out due to a scheduling conflict, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Rudolph, an actress and comedian who served as a cast member on “Saturday Night Live,” dropped out last month. The Hasty Pudding Theatricals’ annual Woman of the Year ceremony — which typically includes a parade through Harvard Square — was originally scheduled for Jan. 26 and postponed due to last-minute scheduling conflicts with the honoree, a Hasty Pudding representative told The Crimson last Friday.

The group announced the last-minute postponement on Jan. 25, just one day before the ceremony. On Thursday, one week later, the group announced Annette Bening as the 2024 Women of the Year.

Rudolph declined to comment through a representative on her decision to back out as the 2024 Women of the Year honoree. Hasty Pudding Theatricals also declined to comment on their initial selection of Rudolph.

On Thursday, the organization announced that actress Annette Bening would be the 2024 Woman of the Year. It has not been confirmed whether Bening’s ceremony, which was rescheduled for Feb. 6, will include a parade, though a Hasty Pudding representative told The Crimson on Thursday that they “will have more to report shortly.”

It remains unclear whether the postponement of the parade and the Woman of the Year ceremony was due to Rudolph’s withdrawal or scheduling conflicts with Bening.

Rudolph served as a cast member on SNL from 2000 to 2007 and has since appeared in films and taken voice acting roles. She has earned five Emmy Awards for her performances.

Hasty Pudding Theatricals is the third oldest theatrical group in the world, according to its website, and is entirely composed of Harvard undergraduates. The group has created and run annual musical performances since its founding in 1844 and annually hosts Man of the Year and Woman of the Year celebrations.

The group announced last week that Irish actor Barry Keoghan will be honored as the organization’s 2024 Man of the Year. Keoghan was on campus Friday for his award ceremony.

—Staff writer Joyce E. Kim can be reached at joyce.kim@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X at @joycekim324.

CollegeStudent GroupsCollege LifeHasty Pudding Theatricals