Harvard Students Streak Around Encampment in Cheeky Primal Scream Display

Freshmen Say Noise From Harvard Yard Encampment Not Disruptive, Despite DSO Email

GSAS Student Council Continues Board Nominations, Discusses Transportation Issues

Council Asks City Staff to Launch Municipally-Funded Housing Vouchers Pilot

‘Not Going Down Without a Fight’: Harvard Students Decry Queen’s Head Closure

Harvard Women's Hockey Ends Season with 9-0 Loss to Quinnipiac, Crashes Out of ECAC Tournament

The Harvard women's ice hockey team's season ended short with a brutal 9-0 loss against No. 9 Quinnipiac.
The Harvard women's ice hockey team's season ended short with a brutal 9-0 loss against No. 9 Quinnipiac. By Courtesy Harvard Athletics
By Isabel C. Smail, Crimson Staff Writer

After a challenging regular season, the Harvard women’s hockey team (5-23-2, 3-18-1 ECAC) headed down to Hamden, Conn. to face off against the No. 9 Quinnipiac Bobcats (26-9-1, 13-9-0) on Saturday. The Crimson was hoping for success in the first round of the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Tournament. Unfortunately for Harvard, the team fell short against the Bobcats, losing 9-0 and marking the end of the Crimson’s 2023-2024 season.

Harvard entered the ECAC Tournament as the 12th seed, the lowest in the league, while the Bobcats were ranked as the fifth seed. The two teams had previously faced off twice during the regular season, with Harvard losing the first contest 7-1, and the second coming on Jan. 12, when the Crimson lost 8-0. Harvard drove down to Quinnipiac this weekend, yearning for redemption in hopes of continuing its season and advancing to the next round of the tournament.

“Quinnipiac did a nice job of stretching out its offensive sets which got us caught on some long shifts in our d-zone, and they were able to capitalize well on those opportunities,” senior forward Shannon Hollands said.

However, Quinnipiac’s offensive success started early in the game, as the Bobcats notched two goals during the first period of play. The team’s momentum continued into the second period when it maintained its intensity and scored three additional goals. In the third period, Quinnipiac clinched the win, tallying three more points while also securing the shutout for goaltender Logan Angers, a graduate student from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Throughout the big game, the Bobcats recorded goals from seven different skaters. Graduate student Alexa Hoskin and sophomore Madison Chantler were both able to score two goals during the contest.

Defensively, the game was tough for the Crimson. Harvard’s starting sophomore goaltender Emily Davidson was faced with 27 shots throughout the first two periods, allowing five goals against and recording an 84.4 percent save percentage. After the coaching call to change goaltenders, junior Alex Pelluci faced six shots and allowed four goals against, totaling a 60 percent save percentage. That being said, Harvard’s defenders did have a considerable number of blocked shots, particularly freshman defender Maria Pape, who successfully obstructed five of the Bobcat’s shots. Despite the valiant effort, the Crimson was unable to overpower Quinnipiac and continue its season.

“What worked well for us during the game was our forecheck," Hollands added. "Once we were able to get them in their zone we were able to get some good opportunities, we just weren’t able to convert those plays.”

Laura Bellamy ’13, the Landry Family Head Coach for Harvard Women's Ice Hockey, wrapped up her first season as Harvard’s head coach with an overall record of 5-23-2. While the Crimson struggled to compete amongst the many powerhouse teams in the ECAC, Bellamy notched some impressive wins over ranked opponents, such as No. 8 St. Lawrence and the No. 13 Boston College Eagles, who the squad upset during the Dunkin’ Beanpot Tournament.

The squad will look to rebound next fall.
The squad will look to rebound next fall. By Courtesy of Harvard Athletics

Much of Harvard’s success this season was spurred by sophomore forward Gwyn Lapp. The Andover, Mass. native led the Crimson in points this season, racking up a total of 11 goals and four assists. The entire team earned a combined 101 points this year, so Lapp made a considerable contribution with her 15. Senior captain Shannon Hollands also had a strong offensive season for the Crimson. The Uxbridge, Ontario native tallied six assists and three goals, securing nine points for Harvard.

The Crimson faced a rigorous schedule this year, as five of its ECAC opponents are currently ranked within the top ten teams in the NCAA. That being said, it is very likely that Crimson fans will see more success from the Harvard team next season. Bellamy will lean on a strong set of underclassmen players who will look to make their mark on the program.

"The team came together to support our senior, Shannon Hollands, who set the precedent all season for levels of compete and effort, and especially in this last game," junior goalie Alex Pellicci said.

The only seniors moving on from Cambridge this year are Hollands and defender Rose O'Connor. While the Crimson will certainly miss their strength and feisty style of play, the backbone of the current team will remain intact next season. Harvard’s defense, driven by strong goaltenders Emily Davidson and Pellicci, will be powered by the MacDonald sisters — Jenna and Kaley — as well as Maria Pape and Mia Biotti. Offensively, the Crimson will continue to be propelled by standouts Lapp, Gabi Davidson-Adams, and Sophie Ensley. Their talent, added to that of the incoming class of recruits, provides a solid starting base for the team to rely on next winter.

The future is bright for the Harvard Women’s Hockey Team. Tune in next fall to see how the program has advanced during the offseason under Bellamy’s leadership.

"Looking to next season, we want to become a more consistent team so we are able to play at our best no matter the day," Pellicci added.

—Staff writer Isabel Smail can be reached at isabel.smail@thecrimson.com.

Women's Ice Hockey