Ahead of Demolition, One Last Hurrah for the Harvard Square Pit at Pit-A-Palooza

As Bacow Prepares to Exit, 41 Percent of Surveyed Harvard Faculty Say They are Satisfied with His Performance

One Third of Surveyed Harvard Faculty Believe A Colleague in Their Department Was Unjustly Denied Tenure

Harvard Asks Judge to Dismiss Comaroff Sexual Harassment Lawsuit

Harvard Holds Human Remains of 19 Likely Enslaved Individuals, Thousands of Native Americans, Draft Report Says

Letters

To the Editor: In Support of Basic Rights

By Ingrid T. Monson and Kay K. Shelemay
Ingrid T. Monson is a professor of Music and African and African American Studies. Kay K. Shelemay is a professor of Music and African and African American Studies.

We are concerned that our letter published in The Crimson on February 4th has been read as an attempt to discourage students from filing Title IX complaints. That has never been our intention. We want to make clear that we are in full support of students coming forward. We have always supported this basic right.

Dean Gay’s letter makes it clear that there is an “asymmetry of information” in the comprehensive understanding and dissemination of the facts of this particular case that makes it difficult for faculty to assess “the proportionality of the response.” We are, of course, in no position to pass judgment on the sanctions without having access to the appropriate facts. And that has not been our purpose. The goal of our letter was to advocate for the improvement of processes guaranteeing the integrity and fairness of Title IX investigations for students and faculty, whether they be accusers or accused.

Letters