Majority of Harvard FAS Faculty Dispute Presence of ‘Systemic Antisemitism’ on Campus in Survey

Harvard Board of Overseers Candidates Question Lack of Transparency in Selection Process

Day 2 of Harvard Yard Encampment Faces Greater Threat of Disciplinary Action

Harvard Art Museums to Require Proof of Vaccination, Negative Covid Test

Harvard Art Museums will require visitors and staff to present proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test upon entry later this month.
Harvard Art Museums will require visitors and staff to present proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test upon entry later this month. By Ryan N. Gajarawala
By Yuen Ting Chow, Crimson Staff Writer

As the coronavirus continues to spread on Harvard’s campus and throughout Cambridge, Harvard Art Museums will require visitors and staff to present proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test upon entry later this month.

The policy will take effect at all Harvard Art Museums property, which includes three museums and four research centers, starting Sept. 28, the Harvard Art Museums director announced Tuesday. Proof of vaccination includes a Centers for Disease Control vaccination card, a photo of the card, or a digital vaccine record. If proof of vaccination is not available, visitors will need to present a negative Covid test taken within the last 72 hours.

Martha Tedeschi, the Art Museums’ director, said in a press release the new policy prioritizes the safety of visitors and staff considering the state of the pandemic across the country.

“This new policy will help us provide a safe environment for all our constituents, as we continue to implement a multi-layered approach to public health measures,” she said. “We’ve worked diligently with Harvard to ensure that everyone on campus and inside our buildings is protected to the highest degree possible.”

Once the new policy takes effect, children under 12 years of age will not be required to present proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test, but they will need to be accompanied by an adult who can.

The Harvard Art Museums reopened at the beginning of September after being closed for 18 months. In March 2020, Harvard’s museums shuttered along with much of the University’s campus.

When they reopened earlier this month, Harvard Art Museums implemented a range of public health guidelines to protect staff, students, and visitors from infection. The museums are operating at reduced capacity, requiring visitors to make reservations in advance, and implementing mask mandates.

The new policy requiring proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test will complement those existing restrictions.

—Staff writer Yuen Ting Chow can be reached at yuenting.chow@thecrimson.com.

MuseumsNews Front FeatureArt MuseumsFront Middle FeatureCoronavirus