Harvard FAS Faculty Largely Dismayed by State of Academic Freedom on Campus, Per Survey

Harvard College’s Disciplinary Proceedings, Explained

Harvard IOP Student Board Condemns Suspensions But Omits ‘Palestine Exception’ Reference After Contentious Meeting

HOOP Warns Harvard of Commencement Disruptions, Denounces Suspensions During Rally at Garber’s House

CNN Commentator, Harvard IOP Board Member Alice Stewart Remembered for ‘Extraordinary Commitment’ to Students

CD Review

M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us

By Adam C. Estes, Crimson Staff Writer

If you listen hard enough, M83’s new album sparkles a little darker than their last, a sound forged from a glaze of tragedy and a dusting of sadism. Before The Dawn Heals Us, the band’s follow-up to the 2003 underground hit Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts, should send a shudder of excitement through an ever-growing audience hungry for electronica with a heart. Once a two-man collaboration, M83 has been trimmed down to just Anthony Gonzalez, a burgeoning artist with an ear for the perfect emotive beat and an eye for innovation.

The striking cover art casts the band’s sound in a Blade Runner-esque cityscape, fitting for M83’s jarring new urban sound. Straying from the Elysian Fields and bird-fluttered skies that comprised the melodies of their first album, Gonzalez lets tracks like “In the Cold I’m Standing” and “Car Chase Terror!” set a disturbingly murky tone for his thematic reincarnation. Lyrics like “A piece of brain in my hair / The wheels are melting” from the album’s lead single, “Don’t Save Us From the Flames,” are whispered against a howling guitar hook with brazen unsubtlety.

He does leave some breathing room, though. The precious M83 of Dead Cities survives in “Farewell/Goodbye,” a soothing scoop of inspiration á la Sigur Rós. And though even the quiet songs of Before the Dawn can be a stressful listen, the album is mesmerizingly and seamlessly stitched together. Paralleling the band’s own de- and reconstruction, Before The Dawn will cut open your heart with a Casio keyboard, sew it back together and still leave you looking forward to the sunrise.