Year in Sports 2023

Seeing Red: Harvard Men's Lacrosse's 10-8 Comeback over Cornell, the Game of the Year

First Year, First Line: Teddy Malone, Male Rookie of the Year

Showing grit and determination throughout a highly-anticipated season, first-year attackman Teddy Malone made an instant impact on the Harvard men’s lacrosse team.

Heart of Defense, and One of Gold: Bronte-May Brough, Female Rookie of the Year

Coming into collegiate athletics, an uncomfortable adjustment for many Division I athletes is no longer being in the starting lineup, playing in every game, or racking in the most minutes played. For Bronte-May Brough, a first-year on Harvard’s top-notch field hockey team, it was quite the opposite.

Making History and Ready for Moore: Carrie Moore, Coach of the Year

Carrie Moore’s career as Crimson basketball coach tipped off to a tremendous start in the 2022-23 season. In her first year at the head of the program, the former Western Michigan standout and retired professional basketball player led the team to a 9-5 Ivy League record and a deep run in the WNIT tournament — one that made program history.

From the Editors: A Year of Triumph and Heartbreak

At The Harvard Crimson, we have had the privilege to cover all of the action. From storied rivalries to dominant performances to heartbreaking defeats, our reporters across every varsity sport have sought to bring the stories behind Harvard Athletics to life. Driven and committed athletes have fought through tremendous adversity to compete at an elite level, persevering through injuries and defeats in their pursuit of excellence as student-athletes. On the sidelines, visionary and inspiring coaches, established campus legends, and rookies alike, have continued to set a high standard of achievement and drive Crimson competitors to be their very best.

Losing Boston's Celebrated Title: Harvard Men's Ice Hockey's Devastating Shootout Ending, Heartbreak of the Year

It was a difference of one shot. In the highly-anticipated annual duel of Boston’s best collegiate hockey teams, the No. 9 Harvard Crimson fell to the No. 16 Northeastern Huskies in a shootout.

‘We Can Do Hard Things’: Grace Taylor's Success in Harvard Women's Lacrosse While Battling Cancer

Earlier this month, Harvard women’s lacrosse’s sophomore defender Grace Taylor earned her second All-Ivy Honorable Mention accolade as a key member of the defense that led the Crimson to the Ivy League women’s lacrosse tournament. Impressive, yes, but even more impressive is how Taylor was using her stick as a cane less than six months earlier.

NFL Dreams Remain in Sight for Harvard Football's Truman Jones and Aidan Borguet

After four years of being called to step up for Harvard football on Saturdays, Truman Jones ’22 and senior Aidan Borguet were hoping to hear their names called in a different way last month so that they might play football on Sundays instead.

Going the Distance: Graham Blanks, Male Performance of the Year

Harvard track and field has had a dominant three seasons this year, creating a powerhouse within its sprints and distance group. At the head of this distance dominance was sophomore Graham Blanks, a Georgia native who has taken Harvard and the Ivy League by storm.

Silencing the Wolfpack: Ainsley Ahmadian vs. NC State, Female Performance of the Year

In a year that saw some fantastic individual performances across all sports for Harvard, women’s soccer’s sophomore forward Ainsley Ahmadian took the crown.

A Sit Down with Theresa Moore '86: Harvard Track and Field, ESPN, and the Power of Storytelling

Theresa Moore is not only a decorated Ivy League track star but a storyteller committed to shedding light on those whose tales have not been told. The former Harvard track and field captain has been an influential member of many communities beyond the track squad, including ESPN and now her own production company, T-Time Productions.

Two Jerseys, Two Teams, Four Years: Meet Harvard's Two-Sport Athlete, Maggie McCarthy

Some Harvard students devote most of their time to studies, others spend hours split between the classroom and the field, while others begin their morning in one jersey and end their day in another. Well, just one: graduating senior and women’s basketball captain Maggie McCarthy.

Yale Beats Harvard, 19-14, in 138th Rendition of The Game

The Harvard football team’s Ivy League title hopes were squashed by its arch rival Saturday as the Crimson fell to Yale, 19-14, in the 138th rendition of The Game.

Marek Magic: Harvard Beats Boston College 4-3 in Beanpot Semifinal Thriller

In a season with championship aspirations, the No. 10 Harvard men’s ice hockey team has leaned heavily on its top-six forwards and a series of late game comebacks to jump into the top 10 of the national rankings. However, in the semifinal of the Beanpot Tournament on Monday night against the Boston College Eagles, the script flipped completely.

“All We Got is All We Need”: A Historic End to Harvard Women’s Basketball’s 2022-23 Season

The 2023 Harvard women’s basketball team made history this past weekend by playing in the Great Eight of the NCAA WNIT for the first time in program history. The Crimson traveled to the Big Apple to meet familiar Ivy adversary Columbia for the fourth time this season, though Harvard wasn’t able to fend off the Lions, losing in a close six-point game by the score of 77-71.