Flyby’s Hierarchy of Yard Activities

By Subul Ahmad

Spring marks the time when we reclaim the Yard and relish the fresh air outside after being cooped up cramming studying hard. Here’s Flyby’s take on the common Yard activities, so you can gauge if your favorite outdoor pastime is Flyby-approved, of course.

Naps in a Hammock

At the top of the hierarchy is sleeping soundly in a hammock. A nice day means a mid-day nap outside is acceptable, and nothing beats a nap in the sunshine. There’s no need to search for loops of relaxing nature sounds to fall asleep to on YouTube when the Yard can provide you with the pink noise of birds chirping. The Earth is at your feet, and the possibilities are endless. In my experience, the only downside is that I wake up so rested and strut around thinking that I am embodying Sleeping Beauty when in reality I have the lines from the hammock covering my face and arms. That’s okay, though, because that means that the nap hit home, and remember that if people are judging, they hate us ‘cause they ain’t us. Pass out in the Lamont basement while my three final papers are waiting to be written? No, thank you. I choose peace, i.e., a hammock nap.

Picnic

Happiness is having a picnic with your friends, eating delicious food, and spreading laughter all around. It’s a nice change from being confined to dining halls all year during Cambridge’s seemingly never-ending cold season. If you’re looking for inspiration, try Pinterest for ideas about how to take your picnic to the next level with elaborate charcuterie boards, fruit arrangements, and fresh flowers. While I love the cottagecore aesthetic, I adore how picnics bring food, friends, and sunshine together.

Spikeball

Spikeball is an awesome and action-packed game to play in the Yard. I wish I could be as joyous and free as the zestful and glowing people playing Spikeball in the Yard. If I possessed even a fraction of the energy that they have, I would be unstoppable. People take their Spikeball very seriously, and I know a good number of competitive people who get so dedicated that they create a Spikeball bracket. Overall, as a classic lawn game that puts a twist on volleyball. Spikeball is the perfect way to get up and moving in the Yard.

Lounge on Top of the Widener Steps

If you want an ideal vantage point, you can climb up the stairs of Widener to reach the two side posts. There, you can sit and observe the Yard with a very low likelihood of being interrupted. That makes it a great place to have a deep debrief with your friends or even get creative by doing something artsy, like painting. One thing to note is that the stone is hard and can become uncomfortable, and even though some of us are becoming concerningly desensitized to pain, it may be best to keep your time here short. Also, maybe this is just me and my fear of getting reprimanded that goes hand-in-hand with my tendency to instantly tear up when someone raises their voice at me, but I’m always on edge that I will get called out by Securitas for being up there.

Ultimate Frisbee

I admit, I may be a somewhat biased hater of ultimate frisbee because of my ongoing count of how many times people have almost killed me with a frisbee. Moving past my near-death experiences, I can see the allure of bringing the heat for ultimate frisbee. After all, the more ultimate frisbee training you get in the Yard, the more ready you will be to make your House proud in intramural ultimate frisbee. Therefore, Flyby will let it pass, but it certainly isn’t earning one of the top spots in the hierarchy.

We spend far too much time in windowless lecture halls, sadly. Luckily, the shift to spring brings plenty of opportunities to get outside and get some stress out, so turn that frown upside down!

Flyby BlogAround Campus