Flyby Tries: Eating in Every Upperclassman Dining Hall

By Julian J. Giordano

Do you miss Housing Day? Want to fuel your House pride even more? Here’s my experience sneaking into dining in every single upperclassman dining hall…

The Quad

Quick shoutout to my lovely friends who were willing to trek to the Quad to keep me company.

Cabot

Why is Cabot’s dining hall below Pfoho? This was confusing. The low ceilings and carpeted floors made the space feel a little constricting and outdated, but I liked the windows along the side, allowing light to stream in and brighten up the space.

Currier

Like Cabot, the carpet and low ceilings trend continues. The lack of windows is a little depressing, but the soothing sounds of the fountain in the center of the seating area make up for it. Still, everyone says that Currier has the best food, and I think I actually might agree. The salad selection was popping, and even HUDS classics just tasted more defined and better seasoned.

Pfoho

With slightly outdated chairs, the house plants scattered around the room, and the fact that I went to eat here during Brunch on Junior Family Weekend, I couldn’t help but feel that I was on a family vacation and had entered a hotel breakfast area. I was a little outraged that they only had a regular waffle machine instead of a Veritaffle one, but my excitement over the two-storied room soothed my sadness.

River West

Practicality, good food, and bright interiors combined make for strong dining halls.

Kirkland

Kirkland had chill vibes, with lots of small tables where friends were catching up in pairs or trios and other people were just enjoying a quiet lunch by themselves. I’m also a fan of their infused water and their selection of panini ingredients.

Eliot

In my purely objective opinion of a first-year who has 100% definitely not been sorted into Eliot, this was the best dining hall. The light streaming in from the tall windows, the sriracha aioli on the banh mi, the diverse selection of table types… Chef’s kiss, truly.

Winthrop

Before this, the only time I had been into Winthrop Dining Hall was during CS Night from 8 to 10 p.m. on Wednesday, and let me just tell you that it is a completely different experience during the day. The servery felt so clean and modern and was playing absolute bops, and I loved the sunlight streaming through the windows. Now I get why everyone wants to be put in Winthrop.

River East

The extra distance is worth it for the beautiful dining halls.

Leverett

Eating in Lev feels like you are sitting inside of a wedding cake, with the rich white color of the entire interior, the gorgeous chandeliers, and the intricate trim. Still, what you gain in elegance, you sacrifice in flexibility in dining. Leverett notoriously has strict interhouse dining restrictions, and it took a lot of convincing for me to not feel its wrath.

Mather

Mather’s interior is CONFUSING. I completely entered the dining hall from the wrong side and did not realize until I exited that there was an actual entrance. Still, I really enjoyed this dining hall. The servery was streamlined, but my favorite part was the strong sense of community. The dining room had a distinct energy, and it seemed like lots of friends were randomly meeting up here and calling out to each other across the room, like one big family.

Dunster

I am in love with Dunster’s dining hall. Especially during the day, it is beautiful to see the sun streaming in. The servery also felt clean and spacious, although the drinks and dessert section felt a little random. Don’t forget about the handwashing station!

The Square

Large, bustling dining halls with very distinct personalities.

Lowell

I’m not sure how I feel about the yellow walls: it makes you happy at first, but gets old fast. The servery area felt a little cramped, but the high ceilings make the space seem airy. The place was lively; everyone in Lowell seemed to be eating there, making it a challenge to find open seating, but a big victory once we did.

Quincy

The people’s house. This was probably the house that I felt the least scared about swiping into. I came for the famous Quincy Hot Breakfast, and honestly, I thought it tasted better than Berg breakfast so I’ve been back several times since. The floor to ceiling windows on both sides of the dining room are perfect for people watching.

Adams

I had a little bit of a scary experience swiping in because apparently first-years housed in Adams cannot bring guests to dinner, but it was all worth it for the yummy pumpkin squares (yes, even in April). The regal feel of the dark wood and hints of gold made me feel cool and edgy and felt perfect for a winter or even early spring dinner, although it might feel a bit heavy in mood for the summer.

After finishing this adventure of dining in each of the houses, my biggest takeaway was that all dining halls are good dining halls and that we don’t have that many meals in a week. Each had a distinct flavor — both in experience and food — but that’s what makes them special. And even if you like a different dining hall more than your own, let this article be proof that you can tag along with a friend from that house to every meal, except on Community Night of course. Harvard’s campus is your oyster. Eat in all parts of it.

Flyby BlogAround Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.