How to: Decorate Your Room (Even If You’re Still Traumatized from Apocalypse Week)

HGTV Presents: Your Dorm Room
HGTV Presents: Your Dorm Room By Courtesy of HGTV

Coming at you LIVE, from my very tiny and slightly messy dorm room in Adams — where I have spent my entire time on Netflix or sleeping — this is Ashal, your personal interior decorator! *thundering applause ensues*

I am here to bestow my immense interior design knowledge gained from two semesters of living in Harvard dorms and countless hours spent on Pinterest. Soon, your room will be the envy of the entire campus – you have my personal guarantee.

Getting Inspired or Getting Jealous?

To get started on this decorating quest successfully, begin by finding the inspiration you need on Tiktok, Pinterest, Instagram, etc. And don’t feel guilty! You’re in fact being very productive by enviously liking posts of that nice dorm bed frame you wish you had instead of working on your pset.

Some of our author's own room decor, carefully curated and placed.
Some of our author's own room decor, carefully curated and placed. By Ashal Malik

Lights, Camera, Action!

I know our generation is permanently associated with LED light strips, but that’s only because mood lighting elevates every living situation. No matter how tiny or weirdly shaped your dorm is, chances are that lights will brighten up the space (pun proudly intended). And if you don’t want to be super basic with LED or fairy lights, try alternative lighting options, like lamps — really anything but overhead (possibly fluorescent) lights.

Picture This: A Photo Collage

This is a super cheap and customizable way to decorate your dream dorm room. You can print pictures of all your besties, your cute pets, and your summer adventures at our very conveniently located CVS. Put them right above your desk so that when you’re grinding at 2 a.m., you can look back on slightly more fun days.

Breathe a Little Easier: Get Plants!

Our author's own personal plant collection (place your bets on if it's real or fake).
Our author's own personal plant collection (place your bets on if it's real or fake). By Ashal Malik

You may have missed the PBHA plant sale, but it’s never too late to get some plants! Many options are cost effective and low maintenance. Plus, this decor will basically match any pre-existing room theme you have going on. But, if you’re like me and can’t keep a succulent alive for even a month, realistic-looking fake plants are the move. The best part is, no one will ever be the wiser!

This dorm is going to be your home for the next few months, so make it your own. Go put up that funky tapestry and stick that BTS poster to your wall (using wall-safe adhesive, of course!) – just let those creative juices flow.

Flyby BlogFlyby Front FeatureFlyby FrontHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.