Tag Yourself: Biology Concentrations as Harvard Celebrities

•
By Connie Yan

Once upon a time, there was just one singular biology concentration at Harvard, much like at many universities in the country. But times have changed. With so many biologies to choose from, how do we keep track of them all? Using Harvard’s most notorious “celebs,” of course.

Neuroscience (formerly Neurobiology): David Malan

With the highest number of concentrators, Neurobiology is the CS50 of Harvard Biology. Neurobiology attracts students for its flexibility and applicability to disciplines from chemistry, psychology, and economics.

Human Developmental and Regenerative Biology (HDRB): Larry Bacow

The newest addition to the Harvard Biology concentration family, HDRB has quickly risen through the ranks when it comes to popularity.

Molecular and Cellular Biology (MCB): Dean Rakesh Khurana

Your classic, lovable, and dependable biology, MCB is the OG biology concentration. It’s also the second most popular, but HDRB might be giving MCB a run for its money.

Integrative Biology (IB): Andrew Berry

Not only is the vivacious Andrew Berry the Integrative Biology concentration adviser, he also embodies the philosophy of IB in allowing students to pursue any discipline that relates to biology: everything from physics to zoology to botany is fair game.

Chemical and Physical Biology (CPB): Your Expos 20 Preceptor

The chemistry and physics of biology (if that wasn’t already clear), so obviously it’s unnecessarily complicated – just like your 12-page final Expos paper. CPB is the smallest biology concentration at Harvard, so you’ll get to know your classmates very well as you slog through those extra math classes.

Human Evolutionary Biology (HEB): Greg Mankiw

For the econ snakes hiding amongst biology concentrators, waiting to reveal their true selves come recruiting season. Can anyone say behavioral econ?

Fear not if you can’t find yourself among the biology concentrations; not everyone was meant to live and breathe Science Center Hall B.

Flyby BlogFlyby FrontHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.