Burst the Bubble: Oct. 5 - Oct. 8

•
Is your mouth watering at these chocolate samples? Head to George Howell this Saturday to satisfy your cravings.
Is your mouth watering at these chocolate samples? Head to George Howell this Saturday to satisfy your cravings. By Ruiyi Li

Happy October! In case it has escaped your notice, we finally have our first three-day weekend! An extra day off should give you all the more reason to put down your books for a second and hit the streets of Boston! It’s okay — go ahead and procrastinate a little bit...this weekend you can just suffer from the Monday scaries instead of the Sunday scaries (or not, if you want to hit up the featured Monday event!). In the meantime, though, check out the best of Boston happenings this weekend!

Friday:

SoWa First Friday

Have you heard of SoWa, the arts district in South Boston? Every first Friday (which is this Friday!), from 5 to 9 p.m., the shops and galleries of SoWa open their doors to the public. You can shop in cute boutiques, meet the artisans who make the whole thing happen, and round the evening off with a fancy dinner at one of the restaurants in the district. Everything in SoWa is within walking distance, so once you get there on the T, your feet will take you everywhere you need to go.

Saturday:

Chocolate Tasting @ George Howell

If you’re here for chocolate, specifically free chocolate, then you’ll want to stop by George Howell Coffee between 3 and 4 p.m. this Saturday. They will have chocolate from local chocolatiers on display, featuring cocoa from around the world. This Saturday, learn more about your favorite treat in the best way possible: by eating it.

Sunday:

Greenway Open Market

If you’re a SoWa veteran looking to check out something new, head to Greenway this Sunday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. At the Greenway Market, you can find art, local products, fountains, food trucks, and, if you’re lucky, maybe even some sunshine! To turn your jaunt into a full-day Boston adventure, explore the New England Aquarium (no, not the Cabot Aquarium) located nearby!

Monday (bonus day to burst the bubble!):

The Institute of Contemporary Art

A bonus event for art lovers: “The Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston” is offering free admission for the whole day off (from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.). Special events running throughout the day include hands-on art making and showings of short films made by women and curated by the appropriately-named Grrl Haus Cinema. Tickets are usually $10 for students (unfortunately, it’s not one of those Boston museums where Harvard ID gets you in free), so take advantage of this freebie while you can!

We hate to burst your bubble, but Harvard isn’t the entire world. Go forth and burst the Harvard bubble with these Boston events!

BostonFlyby BlogFlyby CultureFlyby City