Dining Delights: Chocolate Waffles

By Kamara A. Swaby

With reading period and finals (a.k.a the end of the world as we know it) rapidly approaching, it’s more important than ever to have great treats to eat while you cram nonstop. But if you’re plowing away on that last pset, chances are you don’t have time to wait for the crowd in front of the serving line to clear up. And with the weather degrading into a sad, drizzly, and cold mess, you likely want to stay inside as much as possible to stay warm.

While procrastinating for a class or two, we had an epiphany: we could make brunch more exciting without having to go on strike to convince HUDS to bring back smoked salmon on Sundays. By getting a little creative at the waffle bar, we were able to whip up chocolate waffles, and trust us: once you’ve had them, your life will never be the same again.

Ingredients

Waffle batter
Chocolate syrup (used for ice cream and Sundae Sundays)
Whipped Cream
‘Pancake’ Syrup

And if you’re feeling fancy:

Cinnamon
Soft Serve Ice Cream

Estimated Cooking Time: 7-10 minutes

Pour the waffle batter of your choice (regular or whole wheat) into a cup, filling it halfway. Then pour chocolate syrup into the cup. The waffle batter/chocolate mixture should fill most of the cup but not all of it. Use a spoon to stir the mixture so that the chocolate is fully mixed with the batter and not just resting dejectedly at the bottom of the cup.

This is important: make sure to spray the waffle iron. Too many Harvard students have ran to the waffle bar only to have their Veritaffles fall to pieces when they remove it.

Wait the two and a half minutes necessary to cook the waffle, and then pop open the waffle iron and remove your masterpiece. Adore it for a while; you likely haven’t seen anything as gorgeous since those 4.0s you used to rack up when you were in high school.

Add whipped cream and “pancake” syrup if don’t you have a friend from Vermont to supply you with actual maple syrup. You can also add many more toppings like strawberries, blueberries, cinnamon, etc… The world is your oyster—or at least the servery is. Take the obligatory snapchat and enjoy.

Food and DrinkFlyby BlogDining Delightsyes pleaseFlyby Front