This Week at Harvard: July 6 to July 12

•
Brooke A. Bellomio, front and right, reads near the Charles River on Tuesday evening.
Brooke A. Bellomio, front and right, reads near the Charles River on Tuesday evening. By Melanie Y. Fu

Hope you enjoyed the holiday weekend, Harvard—we know that coming back to work after a weekend filled with stars, stripes, and BBQ will be inevitably difficult.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

OK, so it’s only supposed to rain one day this week, which definitely a step up from last week’s gloomy weather (rain on the Fourth of July—really, Cambridge?). After some thunderstorms on Tuesday, expect clear skies and warm temperatures, up to 86 degrees for the rest of the week.

IN THE NEWS

Harvard Investigates IT Security Breach

Administrators say they discovered a breach of cyber security in its Faculty of Arts and Sciences and central administrative networks that occurred June 19. They urged students and faculty to change their email passwords.

Cambridge Discusses First Potential Skyscraper

At a joint meeting between the Planning Board and Cambridge City Council, city officials heard plans to revitalize the Volpe Center in Kendall Square. One potential plan for the space was constructing a 1,000-foot tower, which, if built, would be the tallest building in New England.

EVENTS

Tuesday and Thursday

Come to Boston’s Dewey Square from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. for the Boston Public Market, a farmer’s market featuring fresh and local foods. The market offers produce, meat, vegetables, dairy, baked goods, and flowers from dozens of Boston-based vendors.

Thursday and Friday

“Shit-faced Shakespeare” is performing a show at 7 p.m. at Davis Square Theatre. Stop by to watch a live Shakespeare play with a drunk cast member. Get tickets on the show’s website.

Saturday

The first installment of Boston’s Family Film Festival is happening at the Prudential Center’s South Garden at sundown. Come by with a blanket or beach chairs to enjoy a screening of “The Boxtrolls.” Giveaways start at 6 p.m.

Come to Taza Chocolate in Somerville from 1 to 4 p.m. for a tasting from Scoopsies Ice Cream. Their flavors include Vietnamese coffee, donuts, and others equally imaginative.

7ate9, a new bakery in Somerville, is having its grand opening from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Swing by 199C Highland Ave. to taste different flavors of cheesecake, their chocolate ganache, and more.

Food and DrinkFlyby BlogSummerFree FoodFlyby Front FeatureHarvard Today