Harvard Today: December 4, 2015

Junior guard Corbin Miller, shown in action last season against Northeastern, and the Crimson shot 62 percent from the field in the first half, but the Huskies pulled away in the second half to pull out an 80-71 victory.
Junior guard Corbin Miller, shown in action last season against Northeastern, and the Crimson shot 62 percent from the field in the first half, but the Huskies pulled away in the second half to pull out an 80-71 victory. By Robert F Worley

Happy first day of reading period, Harvard. Here’s a toast to the start of finding a temporary habitat in Lamont for the next few weeks, subsisting on caffeine and brain break, and living in a perpetual cycle of feeling guilty about procrastinating and not doing anything to change it.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

It’s going to be sunny and a high of 46 degrees today. Plus, the weekend will also promise lots of sunlight and highs in the 50s, hooray.

IN THE DHALL

Lunch:

Catch of the Day

Pork Sausage Sub

Moroccan Stew

Sweet Potato Fries (guess that means we’re waking up for lunch)

Dinner:

Baked Salmon with Dill

Fried Buttermilk Chicken Drumsticks

Savory Baked Tofu

ON FLYBY

PSA: National Cookie Day Specials

It’s National Cookie Day and here’s how you can get a free and/or cheap cookie today.

To Claim or Not to Claim your HarvardKey?

We’re weighing in on some important life decisions.

IN THE NEWS

Pham Named Sixth 2016 Rhodes Scholar from Harvard

Yen H. Pham ’15-’16 has received a 2016 Rhodes Scholarship to study at Oxford, bringing the total number of Harvard undergraduates to win the prestigious award this year to six.

Top UC Leaders Support House Master Name Change

Both the outgoing and incoming presidents of the Undergraduate Council say they support the College’s recent decision to rename the House master position, a title that some students had criticized as associated with slavery.

College Honors Luke Tang ‘18 Through Winter Clothing Drive

Many at Harvard are mobilizing to simultaneously give back and pay tribute through a winter clothing drive in honor of Luke Z. Tang ’18, who passed away in September. The drive—organized jointly by Phillips Brooks House and the Harvard Square Homeless Shelter—is collecting winter clothing from students to donate to the homeless through Dec. 9.

Businesses Express Cautious Support for Minimum Wage Increase

In light of recent city council discussion over adopting a $15 an hour minimum wage in Cambridge, a few Harvard Square business owners said they were cautiously supportive of the suggested wage increase but also pointed out a potential increase in prices.

EVENTS

DAPA will be giving away free water bottles today from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the MAC for National Alcohol Screening Day.

A Raisin in the Sun opens today at 2 p.m. in the American Repertory Theater, and Clybourne Park is also on today at 7:30 p.m. in the same theater. Email clybourneintheex@gmail.com and raisinintheex@gmail.com for tickets.

IGP is hosting Nick Offerman today as the IGP Player of the Year today at 12 p.m. in Science Center B.

The Harvard Ballet Company presents The Giver tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Farkas Hall. Tickets are $8 with an HUID.

Flyby BlogHarvard Today