Flyby Winter Survival Guide

SOS: cold weather is coming.
SOS: cold weather is coming. By Beth Young

Congratulations! You’ve made it through a moderately temperate week. If you’re thinking these past few days were cold, don’t be afraid of what lies ahead. Flyby has created a list of what not to do if you’re from a warmer climate:

1) Do not be afraid to bundle up
You could run the risk of looking #unfashionable, but staying warm is always important, especially once flu season rolls around again. Master the art of layering and keep a light sweater in your bag just in case. Have fun with accessories: hats, scarves, gloves, earmuffs, face masks– nothing is off the table, especially if they have a Harvard logo on it (stepping up your school pride game in anticipation of Harvard-Yale). It’s also not a bad idea to keep some hand warmers lying around.

2) Do not believe that the sun is an indication of warmth
The sun may be out and shining, but that can still mean strong windchills. Ask friends that have already left the dorm about the weather, or even better yet, Flyby brings you the weather every morning.

3) Do not stay inside when it first snows
As much as everyone complains about the copious amounts of snow and freezing temperatures, the first snowfall is undeniably beautiful. The entire world is enveloped in a sheet of white, how jolly and festive and magical. Go out and enjoy the winter wonderland: start a snowball fight, build a snowman (and then reference Frozen in your Instagram caption), and sled down the steps of Widener. And if you’ve grown up with snow all your life, there's still a spectacle for you: go out and people-watch all the warmer climate people who are oh so incredibly excited.

Flyby BlogWeatherSNOWDAY

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.