Department of Education Ends Harvard Antisemitism Investigation

After Criticism, Harvard Will Standardize Fact-Finding Process for Disciplinary Cases

A Report Suggested Big Changes to the Arts & Humanities. The Division’s New Dean Is Taking It Slow.

Brian Lee, Harvard’s Chief Fundraising Officer, to Retire in December

MBTA Red Line Closes for 16 Days for Maintenance, Spelling Delays for Harvard Square Riders

Michael McNally To Lead Harvard FAS Fundraising Efforts as Associate Vice President and Dean of Development

Michael McNally will become the new associate vice president and dean of development of Harvard's Faculty of Arts and Sciences.
Michael McNally will become the new associate vice president and dean of development of Harvard's Faculty of Arts and Sciences. By Courtesy of Stephanie Mitchell/Harvard Staff Photographer
By Rahem D. Hamid and Elias J. Schisgall, Crimson Staff Writers

Michael McNally, an education and healthcare fundraising official, will return to Harvard for a fourth time to serve as the Faculty of Arts and Sciences’ associate vice president and dean of development, FAS Dean Hopi E. Hoesktra and Vice President for University Alumni Affairs and Development Brian K. Lee announced Monday.

Currently the top development officer at Massachusetts General Hospital, McNally’s career has taken him to and from the University on multiple occasions. Prior to his job at MGH, McNally served two separate stints in top development roles at the Harvard School of Public Health — where he helped raise nearly a billion dollars — and was also a top fundraiser at MIT.

He will begin his new post at the FAS on Oct. 23. McNally succeeds Armin Afsahi as FAS’ dean of development after Afsahi’s departure for the University of Chicago in February.

In a press release, Hoekstra hailed McNally as a “seasoned leader of fundraising teams” and a “perfect match for the FAS.”

“I can’t imagine a more ideal partner in this critically important role,” she said.

Lee praised McNally, calling him “an inspiring and visionary leader.”

“I truly look forward to partnering with Mike as he expands engagement, bolsters philanthropic innovation, and builds and deepens relationships with our alumni volunteers, FAS faculty and staff, and the incredible team within Alumni Affairs and Development,” Lee said in a press release.

As the chief development officer for Harvard’s largest school, McNally will be the FAS’ top fundraising executive, overseeing the “design and execution of the FAS’ fundraising goals,” according to the press release.

McNally, who holds a bachelor’s degree from Boston College and a master’s degree from Tufts University, said in a press release that he was “thrilled” to return to Harvard, saying that it “feels really good this time around.”

“For me, higher education is about opportunity and impact,” McNally said in a press release. “When I think about what type of legacy I’d like to have, I want to help reinforce this message of the impact a high-quality institution of higher learning has on its immediate community and globally.”

—Staff writer Rahem D. Hamid can be reached at rahem.hamid@thecrimson.com.

—Staff writer Elias J. Schisgall can be reached at elias.schisgall@thecrimson.com. Follow him on X @eschisgall.

FASFAS AdministrationUniversity Finances