‘Clytemnestra’ Review: A Fresh Greek Mythology Retelling

4 Stars

Cover of Costanza Casati's "Clytemnestra."
Cover of Costanza Casati's "Clytemnestra." By Courtesy of Penguin Random House
By Hannah E. Gadway, Crimson Staff Writer

“In my experience, ambitious people fall quickly. But not you. You have a talent for survival.”

This is how the eponymous heroine of Costanza Casati’s debut novel “Clytemnestra” is described by one of her enemies. Casati’s novel retells the story of Helen of Troy’s twin sister, Clytemnestra — a strong warrior, mother, and queen with a knack for survival. The novel follows her as she navigates the male-dominated world of Ancient Greece, clinging onto her autonomy despite a life of tragedy. Although the book sometimes struggles under the weight of its multiple storylines, “Clytemnestra” still tells a compelling and unique story about one of Greek mythology’s most notorious female figures.

The novel’s strength lies in its ability to weave many complex stories into one linear narrative by centering all of these episodes on Clytemnestra herself. Clytemnestra is often portrayed as a side character or villain in Greek mythology, but in this novel she takes the center stage. Classic Greek heroes such as Theseus, Odysseus, Jason, and Achilles thereby become supporting characters in Clytemnestra’s compelling storyline rather than dominating the narrative. While literature and art has typically depicted male Greek heroes as courageous or exemplary, “Clytemnestra” instead highlights their horrible deeds and sexist beliefs. As Clytemnestra quips about Theseus, “Heroes like him are made of greed and cruelty: they take and take until the world around them is stripped of its beauty.” The novel shows how the heroes of some stories are the villains of others — and vice versa.

Casati’s careful consideration of different perspectives allows the reader to sympathize deeply with Clytemnestra. In Greek mythology, Clytemnestra is often remembered for being insane — a wretched woman who, blinded by a need for vengeance, murders her husband. But in Casati’s novel, she is a fiery figure, still fueled by a burning desire for revenge, but never painted as delusional. “Clytemnestra” shows how she is shaped by trauma yet still bravely holds onto power in a time when women were seen as subhuman. Casati’s clear feminist stance makes this retelling fresh despite being based on stories that are thousands of years old.

Casati, who was a scholar of Ancient Greek literature for over five years, balances informative descriptions of the Ancient Greek world with an entertaining and accessible style. Her research is obvious in every page of the novel, and the setting, characters, dialogue, and mythology are all incredibly detailed and historically accurate. Yet the novel never becomes too complicated in its descriptions of the past; the prose is lyrical in its simplicity.

While “Clytemnestra” is well-researched with an interesting premise, sometimes its multiple plotlines can be difficult to follow. There are large time jumps — ranging from a few months to fifteen years — between sections of Clytemnestra’s story. Not much character development occurs off the page, making it feel as if the characters simply aged for the sake of the plot. Various side characters who move in and out of the story hint at enticing plotlines — but instead of adding to the world of the story, these aspects distract the reader from the central plot. The novel’s time jumps and side characters, while faithful to the original Greek myths, ultimately make the story feel clunky.

Overall, “Clytemnestra” is unique due to its fresh, well-researched story with an intriguing heroine. The concept of revisiting a Greek myth with a feminist twist is not necessarily unique, but “Clytemnestra” still manages to break new ground by investigating the motives of a woman who has historically been marked as a villain. The novel is perfect for those interested in learning more about a misunderstood figure in Greek mythology, and Casati will be an author to watch in the years to come.

—Staff writer Hannah E. Gadway can be reached at hannah.gadway@thecrimson.com.

BooksArts