Sports

Star Freshman Malik Mack Will Transfer To Georgetown in Massive Blow To Harvard

Philosophy Professor Sean Kelly To Serve as Next Arts and Humanities Dean

Faculty Demand Greater Say as Confidence in Harvard’s Governance Plummets

CAMHS Employee, Facing Wrongful Death Suit, Testifies She Followed ‘Standard Procedure’

‘Ambassador of Love’: Arthur Brooks Leads Harvard Delegation to Meet the Dalai Lama

‘SELF’ Review: A Self-reflective and Healing Return for K-Pop Legends Apink

4 Stars

'SELF' by Apink was released on April 5.
'SELF' by Apink was released on April 5. By Courtesy of Apink / IST Entertainment
By June K. Park, Crimson Staff Writer

Since debuting in 2011, Apink has curated an expansive discography ranging across all K-pop genres. From their famous feel-good, bright pop tracks, including “NoNoNo,” “Mr. Chu,” and “Remember,” to their more recent renaissance with charismatic and bold experimental sounds, including “I’m So Sick,” “%%,” and “Dumhdurum,” Apink has done it all. Thus, when it was announced that Apink would be returning to the music scene with their 10th mini-album and first as a quintet — comprised of members Park Chorong, Yoon Bomi, Jeong Eunji, Kim Namjoo, and Oh Hayoung — many wondered what version of the group’s sound they would bring. On “SELF,” Apink returns to their roots and demonstrates their masterful execution of meaningful lyrics and powerhouse vocals asserting their status as K-pop legends.

Released on April 5, “SELF” is more than just Apink’s 10th mini album; it is an album that strives to be a “healing,” inspirational project with songs focusing on self-love and confidence.

The group set out to create an album that gives strength and healing to many people, member Yoon Bo-mi explained in an interview with South Korea’s The Single. Led by title track “D N D,” which stands for Do Not Disturb, Apink’s latest album contains five songs in total including, “Withcha,” “Me, Myself & I,” “Candy,” and “I want you to be happy.” Each song builds upon the previous to round out a solid, loveable album and deliver a message of comfort and encouragement.

The title track and first song, “D N D,” officially sets the tone of the album with a message of turning on the “do not disturb” sign and finding your own way through life. This comforting message is supported by refreshing instrumentals, which feature a funky bass punctuated by cheerful, bright chords emphasizing the addictive melody. The strengths of “D N D” lie in the final chorus and lyrics, which showcase the five members’ unique vocals, starting with leader Park Chorong’s sweet introduction to main vocalist Jeong Eunji’s incredible high notes, reminiscent of those in Apink’s debut song of “I Don’t Know.” While the track features entirely Korean lyrics, which sound beautiful especially in the native Korean language, some of the best lines include, “Don't disregard the dream you've put off / It's okay to be optimistic about tomorrow” and “I’ll always be with you / In the process of becoming an adult / It's okay to say that you're lost / Find your way.”

If “D N D” is the musical embodiment of dancing like there is no one watching, the second song of the album, “Withcha” is the smoother, R&B counterpart of confidently strutting down the street. With the repetition of “withcha”a spin on the phrase “with ya,” the lyrics build upon the idea of “finding your own way” that was introduced in “D N D” to bring Apink into the journey forward together with their fans. Although the melody is rhythmic, imitating a strutting pace, it can be a bit repetitive. However, the song both highlighted and benefitted from the youngest member, Oh Hayoung’s, suave vocal color.

“Me, Myself & I” is a ballad gem on the album, both vocally and lyrically. It features some of the best high notes, including those from lead vocalist Yoon Bomi, and skillful vocal phrasing, especially the final lines by member Kim Namjoo. It is a softer, but still feel-good ballad that makes listeners reflect on the ups and downs of the journey of self-love. Lyrics were written by Park Chorong, including themes of hate and love.

The fourth track on the album, “Candy,” brings listeners back to the groovier side of Apink. Just like its name, it’s a sweet song about giving and showing love because of the desire to make someone happy. This song features wicked synths, lyrics by Kim Namjoo, and even a surprise rap by the lyricist herself.

The final song, “I want you to be happy” is a tear-jerker and classic ending ballad. It is also Apink’s 11th anniversary fan song and lyrics were written together by all five members of Apink. The joint chorus of all five members is especially moving when they sing together, “Please trust me / I will stand right here without changing.” A wonderful ending to tie together a deeply reflective album encouraging listeners to reflect on their own personal journey as well as Apink’s journey over the years.

While at times the music and chords could be a bit repetitive, the strengths of “SELF” exist in its poetic, reflective lyrics and the impressive vocals delivering said lyrics. Apink should be proud of releasing a meaningful album like “SELF” that adds to their impressive, transformative discography. Longtime fans of Apink, also known as Pink Panda, will appreciate the album which serves as a love letter to Pink Pandas, fellow Apink members, and all those who are finding their own way everyday.

—Staff writer June K. Park can be reached at june.park@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @junekimpark.