Vivian Hunt ’89 To Lead Harvard Board of Overseers During Presidential Search

Harvard Chief Technology Officer to Step Down for Healey Administration Post

Harvard University Information Technology offices are located on Memorial Drive in Cambridge.
Harvard University Information Technology offices are located on Memorial Drive in Cambridge. By Julian J. Giordano
By Rahem D. Hamid and Elias J. Schisgall, Crimson Staff Writers

Harvard Chief Technology Officer Jason Snyder will lead the Massachusetts Executive Office of Technology Services and Security, Governor Maura T. Healey ’92 announced Wednesday.

“Secretary Snyder has decades of experience building strong teams and implementing best technology practices in government, in higher education and in the private sector,” Healey said in a statement. “We’re confident that he will make sure our digital information is high quality and secure, and that the people of Massachusetts have access to the services they need.”

Snyder, who was sworn in Friday morning, succeeds Curtis M. Wood, who also served as the commonwealth’s Chief Information Officer and announced his retirement in December.

“The Commonwealth of Massachusetts does incredible work day in and day out to deliver critical services to residents, but we need to make sure that everyone is able to access those services,” Snyder said in a statement. “I’m honored to have the opportunity to serve in the Healey-Driscoll Administration and look forward to the work ahead to make sure that our technology is resilient, secure and accessible to all.”

Snyder, who previously served as Massachusetts’ chief technology officer under former Governor Deval L. Patrick ’78, is one of two Harvard affiliates to join Healey’s burgeoning cabinet. He joins incoming Secretary of the Executive Office of Education Patrick A. Tutwiler, who received a master’s degree from Harvard Graduate School of Education.

Jason Snyder was tapped to join the Healey administration Wednesday.
Jason Snyder was tapped to join the Healey administration Wednesday. By Courtesy of Jason Snyder

Harvard University Information Technology Vice President and Chief Information Officer Klara Jelinkova thanked Snyder for his work at Harvard in a Wednesday message to the department.

“While I will miss Jason’s leadership and expertise—and, most of all, his collegial and collaborative approach—I am excited that he will have the opportunity to serve the Commonwealth in such a critical and meaningful role,” she wrote.

She credited Snyder with introducing the security features HarvardKey and Duo, improving Harvard’s WiFi service, and bolstering the school’s technological resiliency.

Jelinkova also announced that Erica Bradshaw, currently HUIT’s managing director for strategic transformation and associate chief technology officer, will serve as the school’s interim CTO.

Jelinkova did not comment on when a permanent replacement for Snyder would be found.

Healey, herself a Harvard alum, had previously chosen several Harvard affiliates to serve on her gubernatorial transition team, including Kennedy School lecturer Thomas P. Glynn III, Medical School professor Lisa I. Iezzoni, and University professor Danielle S. Allen — Healey’s former opponent in the Democratic primary for governor.

Snyder’s departure continues a massive turnover in top posts across the University. In the coming months, Harvard will see a new President, four new academic deans, and a host of other changes in executive positions across the University’s administration.

Correction: January 6, 2023

A previous version of this article incorrectly described Erica Bradshaw as Harvard’s managing director for strategic transformation. In fact, Bradshaw is HUIT's managing director for strategic transformation.

—Staff writer Rahem D. Hamid can be reached at rahem.hamid@thecrimson.com.

—Staff writer Elias J. Schisgall can be reached at elias.schisgall@thecrimson.com.

GovernmentTechnologyHUITMassachusetts