Concert Review: The Tallest Man Never Left

The Tallest Man on Earth performs at Boston's Royale.
The Tallest Man on Earth performs at Boston's Royale. By Courtesy of Jacob R. Jimenez
By Jacob R. Jimenez, Crimson Staff Writer

Kristian Matsson (aka The Tallest Man on Earth) returned to Boston at The Royale for the first time in nearly two years on March 5. Although it was his first live show in Boston since the pandemic, Matsson’s bond with his fans remains stronger than ever.

In March 2020, when the world closed its doors and began a long period of quarantine, we saw touring musicians get creative to keep live music going. Within a week of the 2020 Covid-19 lockdowns, John Legend broke ground on social media concerts, streaming an hour-long Instagram concert. Many musicians followed. The Tallest Man made YouTube his platform and brought full-set live streams to viewers every week for two months. Each stream revealed some of Matsson’s musical influences as he covered the likes of Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and Joni Mitchell. Fans of The Tallest Man saw a whole new side of the artist through his online shows. Much of The Tallest Man on Earth’s discography is played on guitar, but Matsson often played banjo, accordion, or piano versions of his original works. Throughout his streams, Matsson would reflect on his muses and his own music making process, even describing how he learned to play the guitar and banjo. On the 10-year anniversary of his popular album “The Wild Hunt,” Matsson played through each song and revealed some of his muses and playing techniques.The consistency and intimacy of his live streams were unmatched in the era of stay-at-home concerts.

The Tallest Man on Earth takes center stage at the Royale.
The Tallest Man on Earth takes center stage at the Royale. By Courtesy of Jacob R. Jimenez

When Matsson returned to the stage at the Royale in Boston, it was as though he had never left. Front row fans wore t-shirts from The Little Red Barn Show — his first in-person concert live streamed from Sweden — proving their dedication and anticipation of the show. The banjo, which made frequent appearances in his online shows, was a rare and craved feature of the show. Chants from the crowd begged for more of the jangling instrument after his five-string rendition of “Somewhere in the Mountains, Somewhere in New York.” But Matsson stuck to his meticulously crafted setlist, switching guitars nearly every song.

The Tallest Man on Earth is a one-man show. For him, switching instruments throughout the show was as critical as switching songs for giving the set incredible depth and range. Each guitar was emblematic of its allotted song since they were tuned so differently and ran through different effects. Even without a drum kit or bass, Matsson emanated rhythm and energy with his intricate picking and strumming patterns. Every moment of the performance was filled with the electric spirit of The Tallest Man as he ran back and forth, climbed chairs and speakers, and even played sliding with his back on the floor.

The Tallest Man on Earth dances the night away.
The Tallest Man on Earth dances the night away. By Courtesy of Jacob R. Jimenez

While the setlist highlighted The Tallest Man on Earth’s showstoppers — “King of Spain,” “Love is All,” and “The Gardener” — Matsson surveyed his entire discography in his Boston performance. Self-proclaimed to be “living aimlessly since 2020,” Matsson is giving this tour back to his fans rather than continuing the tour of his latest studio release “I Love You. It’s a Fever Dream.” This spirit couldn’t have made for a better show. As if the song choices weren’t enough to show his gratitude to his fans and the opportunity to play again in-person, Matsson was explicit in thanking and celebrating the crowd between songs.

The Tallest Man on Earth stands tall and proud over the crowd.
The Tallest Man on Earth stands tall and proud over the crowd. By Courtesy of Jacob R. Jimenez

From the moment The Tallest Man twirled onto the stage to the tune of “För sent för Edelweiss” to when he climbed atop his piano stool to conclude his encore, Kristian Matsson reminded us of the joy of celebrating live music. As long as his songs of hope and signature on-stage vitality keep coming back to Boston, we will remember that joy.

— Staff writer Jacob R. Jimenez can be reached at jacob.jimenez@thecrimson.com.