In Photos: Backstage with the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra

By Addison Y. Liu
Take a look behind the scenes at the music and magic of HRO, from dress rehearsal to backstage to showtime.
By Addison Y. Liu

The Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra presented its first concert of the spring semester on Saturday Feb. 26. Now In its 214th season, HRO is the nation’s oldest continuously-operating symphony orchestra. Here, we take a look behind the scenes at the music and magic of HRO, from dress rehearsal to backstage to showtime.

By Addison Y. Liu

Concert day begins in the afternoon, when the orchestra gathers in Sanders Theater for dress rehearsal.

William Swett ‘22 rehearses on bass.

Camden Archambeau ‘23 conducts the orchestra in rehearsal.

At their call time, musicians make their way into the Green Room. Paul Tamburro ‘22, Sophie Choate ’23, and Joshua Halberstadt ’25 warm up before the concert.

The air fills with nervous excitement as students unpack and tune their instruments, making final preparations before the concert.

An empty stage waits to be filled as audience members begin filing into Sanders Theater.

As the orchestra takes its place, Brian Tobin ‘23 warms up on percussion.

With the audience quieted and the lights dimmed, the orchestra opens with their first piece of the night, debuting Hannah Lash’s “Forestallings.” Pictured here is harpist Gabrielle Grant ‘24.

Archambeau conducts Zoltan Kodaly’s “Peacock Variations.”

Kevin Miura ‘25 is the featured soloist in Max Bruch’s “Scottish Fantasy,” the orchestra’s final piece.

The orchestra stands and receives applause as Federico Cortese, music director, shakes hands with Lash.

MusicArtsPhoto EssayFeatured Photos