Laufey Concert Review: An Intimate Evening of Jazz Reimagined With a Modern Streak

By Julia J. Hynek
By Julia J. Hynek, Crimson Staff Writer

Most are familiar with the big names of jazz: Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, and more. And while these artists remain iconic to this day, it may seem that the golden age of jazz ended in the 20th century.

23-year old Laufey Lín Jónsdóttir, more commonly known as Laufey (pronounced “lay-vay”), is seeking to change this perception.

Born in Reykjavík, Iceland, Laufey is half-Icelandic and half-Chinese, and spent her childhood moving between Reykjavík and Washington, D.C. She grew up surrounded by classical music — her mother was a classical violinist — but has previously described old jazz music as her “first love.” In particular, she recalls how her father had a collection of Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday records that he would frequently play. And so as she grew older, Laufey began to try to use her own musical endeavors to revive jazz for a younger generation.

Based on the turnout at The Sinclair on Sept. 27, she is making significant strides. The Cambridge show, along with the majority of her other tour dates, were sold out, despite this being her first tour.

Laufey began with song “Fragile” from her debut album “Everything I Know About Love,” released on Aug. 26. When attending concerts, especially those of newer artists, fans may be apprehensive about whether the singer can deliver vocally in a live performance. Laufey, however, quickly demonstrated that her signature smooth, milk-and-honey vocals would not disappoint.

Throughout the night, she provided a stellar performance of both singles as well as tracks from her EP and the debut album, including some lighter, more upbeat tunes like “Best Friend,” as well as melancholy tracks like “Let you break my heart again.” Accompanied by minimal instrumental backing for most of the show — as is the nature of her songs — Laufey’s dreamy voice and telling lyrics were able to shine as the stars of the night.

The crowd, for its part, was consistently active and engaged. From the get-go, the hall was filled with audience members singing along to most of Laufey’s lyrics despite the relatively recent release of her completed record. Towards the end of the set, many fans even took this participation a step further and harmonized with her.

The audience interaction is a testament to Laufey’s charming persona and dedication to connecting with her fans. Whether it was personally accepting all of the gifts offered to her, discussing with the crowd about potential names for her cello, or taking a fan’s phone to snap their BeReal, Laufey constantly engaged with her dedicated fans throughout the night.

This tour date, in particular, felt special because of Laufey’s connection to Boston: She attended and graduated from Berklee College of Music. Onstage, she spoke extensively about her early musical endeavors while still at school, writing many of her songs from her dorm room. She also shared an anecdote about the songwriting process of one of her most popular songs, “Street by Street,” which she had written about Boston and reclaiming its streets (and her own life) from the memories she had made with a failed love interest. Notably there was also a significant presence of Berklee students within the audience, who made their excitement and presence known by cheering on their school alumnus and using their own musical talents to sing along. Aided by the fact that The Sinclair is by nature a smaller venue, the feel of the evening as a whole was less that of an audience listening to an artist they love and more of a familiar community celebrating one of their own.

Laufey truly demonstrates all the makings of a star. Hearing about her unique childhood and musical background may spark one’s interest, but just one listen to her actual work has the power to immediately turn a curious first-time listener into a captivated fan. The truth is that Laufey has not only a complete mastery over her voice, but also possesses a gorgeous, soothing tone that is difficult to find among other artists today. Combining this with her original sound, personal charm, witty songwriting, and other various talents in her musical toolbox (she plays piano, cello, and guitar), Laufey is an admirable artist all around.

Most compelling of all, perhaps, is the musical niche that she has found herself in: Laufey is leading a revival of jazz in a modern context. It is abundantly clear that she has a deep love and appreciation for the genre, and it is this singular love for jazz that drives her desire to share it through her own artistry. Laufey is able to find and maintain a glorious balance of keeping the iconic heart and sound of jazz alive, while reshaping it for discussions of love, loss, friendship, and life that resonate soundly with younger generations today.

—Staff writer Julia Hynek can be reached at julia.hynek@thecrimson.com.