Top Ten Halloween Reads

By Courtesy of Andrés Gómez (Unsplash)
By Katy E. Nairn, Contributing Writer

Halloween is just around the corner, and with it comes an enormous sampling of all things spooky. Curating a lineup of the finest horror stories to celebrate the scariest time of year, The Harvard Crimson kept in mind that our readers have discerning palates for horror. So, like any great taste-testing should, this list begins with the mildest of tales, culminating in those stories only fit for those with particularly strong appetites and even stronger stomachs.

“The Fall of the House of Usher” by Edgar Allan Poe

Spook scale: 3/5

Anything from horror icon Poe is a safe bet for an October read-a-thon, but the story of the twisted Usher family is simply unmatched. No Halloween season is complete without Poe.

“The Monstrumologist” by Rick Yancy

Spook scale: 3.3/5

This book combines a gothic atmosphere with the adventurous fun of a Rick Riordan novel, following teenager Will Henry in his monster-hunting adventures as an apprentice to a famed monstrumologist. While the series appears on young adult bookstore shelves, the scares are real.

“Frankenstein” by Mary Shelley

Spook scale: 3.5/5

With a darkened laboratory, a mad scientist, and a hulking green monster coming to life, a universally recognizable set of images accompanies this Victorian classic. However, Shelley’s novel also challenges readers to look beyond preconceived notions of monstrosity and humanity.

“Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” by Alvin Schwartz

Spook scale: 3.75/5

Accompanied by perhaps the most haunting illustrations ever included in children’s literature, courtesy of artist Stephen Gammell, these stories are a must, especially for anyone whose childhood was limited to fairy tales where good predictably triumphed over evil.

“Hide” by Kiersten White

Spook scale: 4/5

When protagonist Mack enters the contest, the rules are simple. Spend seven days hidden in an abandoned amusement park, outlast the thirteen other competitors, and don’t get caught. As the game goes on, and players begin to disappear, it becomes clear that something far more sinister is afoot.

“House of Accidents” by Chuck Wendig

Spook scale: 4.25/5

Published in 2021, the novel centers around a single family’s supernatural encounters upon returning to their home in rural Pennsylvania. Wendig crafts a tour de force of interdimensional horror that any “Stranger Things” fan is bound to love. Don’t be intimidated by its hefty 530 pages, “House of Accidents” will not only draw you in, but will leave you wanting more.

“Head Full of Ghosts” by Paul Tremblay

Spook scale: 4.5/5

For fans of William Peter Blatty’s “The Exorcist,” Tremblay’s 2015 novel presents a modern-day reimagining of the possession story with all of the bone-chilling tension and decidedly less split-pea soup. In this novel, the Barretts appear to be a typical suburban family until their daughter begins to exhibit the hallmark symptoms of demonic possession.

“The Haunting of Hill House” by Shirley Jackson

Spook scale: 5/5

Please excuse the annoying, “The book was better!” exclamations for a minute. While millions of viewers tuned in for Netflix’s 2018 adaptation of this classic horror novel, the book presents a decidedly more nuanced take on the haunted house trope, following four ghost hunters: Dr. Montague, a professor obsessed with the occult, Luke, the heir to Hill House, Theodora, a clairvoyant, and Eleanor, the compelling protagonist. Even for Halloween enthusiasts with busy fall schedules, at just 180 pages, a trip to Hill House is a must.

“Bones and All” by Camille DeAngelis

Spook scale: 5/5

Do not be fooled by the shrieking hordes of Timothée Chalamet fans tittering with anticipation for the Nov. 18 release date for the film adaptation. This book is utterly terrifying. The story follows sixteen-year-old Maren Yearly’s journey to find her father. Along the way, she falls into an unlikely romance, and the book feels like the typical coming-of-age story. That is, until she is overtaken by the urge to eat someone. Enough said.

“Pet Sematary” by Stephen King

Spook scale: 5/5

Any true horror enthusiast should be physically pained to choose just one Stephen King novel. But, while nothing beats the prom scene in “Carrie,” or the haunted mountain retreat of “The Shining,” “Pet Sematary” is the best King novel to get into the Halloween spirit. Delivering spooky graveyard scenes, gory imagery, and arguably the most terrifying cat in all of horror, this cult classic truly cannot be missed.

BooksArts