Live Updates: Students Rally in Harvard Yard To Protest PSC Suspension

Cooke and Hirabayashi Failed To Meet Campaign Promises. To Students, It Reflects Broader Issues.

Judge Rules Against Theo Harper ’25 in Harvard IRC Lawsuit Following Removal Over ‘Stress Test’

‘Out of the Blue’: Students and Counselors Share Mixed Reactions to Harvard’s Return to Test-Required Policy

Chip City Cookies Set To Sweeten up Harvard Square in July

Cambridge Mayor Sumbul Siddiqui Endorses Andrea Campbell for Boston Mayor

Locked in a crowded race for Boston mayor, Boston City Councilor Andrea J. Campbell, left, received the backing of Cambridge Mayor Sumbul Siddiqui.
Locked in a crowded race for Boston mayor, Boston City Councilor Andrea J. Campbell, left, received the backing of Cambridge Mayor Sumbul Siddiqui. By Courtesy Photo
By Brandon L. Kingdollar and David R. Shaw, Crimson Staff Writers

Cambridge Mayor Sumbul Siddiqui endorsed Boston City Councilor Andrea J. Campbell in her bid to become mayor of Boston on April 5, citing Campbell’s dedication to advancing equity.

Siddiqui is the latest Cambridge official to endorse in the competitive mayoral race, after two Cambridge City Councilors pledged support for Michelle Wu ’07, another current Boston City Councilor, in December. U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) also endorsed Wu in January.

Siddiqui said in a press release that Campbell’s vision will help make Boston “truly equitable for all,” benefiting the entire region, including Cambridge.

“Andrea cares deeply, leads authentically, and works collaboratively to address the inequities she experienced growing up in Boston that too many families in our communities still face,” Siddiqui said.

A new poll by WBUR shows Campbell in fourth place, 15 points behind frontrunner Wu. While half of respondents were still undecided, Campbell faces low name recognition: 42 percent of the registered voters polled reported having “never heard of” her.

Nonetheless, Campbell has been the race’s most prolific fundraiser, bringing in over $625,000 since January — more than any other candidate.

Campbell said in the release that, if elected, she hopes to forge a strong partnership with Siddiqui, whose leadership she admires.

“From our higher education institutions, public transit, and local economy, collaborative leadership between the City of Boston and City of Cambridge is essential to creating an inclusive, equitable, thriving community for our residents, students, and workforce,” Campbell said.

Like Siddiqui, the first Muslim mayor elected in Massachusetts, Campbell hopes to make history by becoming the first Black woman elected mayor of Boston.

Acting Mayor Kim M. Janey — currently polling one point behind Wu, per WBUR — became the first Black person and woman to serve as Boston’s mayor when she was sworn in on March 24.

Janey declared her candidacy on April 6.

While initially expected to be non-competitive, the election became an open race following former Mayor Marty Walsh’s appointment as President Joe Biden’s Labor Secretary.

In addition to Campbell, Wu, and Janey, other candidates vying for the post include Boston City Councilor Annissa Essaibi George, former Boston Chief of Economic Development John Barros, and State Rep. Jon Santiago.

Campbell began her public career as deputy legal counsel to then-Gov. Deval L. Patrick ’78, before her election to the Boston City Council in 2015.

She has received mayoral endorsements from several other public figures, including former Massachusetts First Lady Diane Patrick.

Campbell was also endorsed on April 1 by Our Black Party, a national organization focused on improving the quality of life of Black Americans.

Candace Hollingsworth, the organization’s national co-chair, said in a press release that Campbell is one such candidate.

“In cities across the country, we need bold leaders like Andrea Campbell who will lead with equity and justice as the centerpiece of their work, not an add-on,” Hollingsworth said. “Andrea’s record on the Boston City Council shows great promise for how she will make sure that the city’s Black residents will be able to share in its prosperity.”

The preliminary election is scheduled to take place on Sept. 21. The top two finishers will face off in the general election on Nov. 2.

— Staff writer Brandon L. Kingdollar can be reached at brandon.kingdollar@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter at @newskingdollar.

—Staff writer David R. Shaw can be reached at david.shaw@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @davidrwshaw.

City PoliticsPoliticsCambridgeBostonFront Photo FeatureFeatured Articles