Arts Playlist: Songs for Stargazing

Stargazing in the Alvord Desert, Ore.
Stargazing in the Alvord Desert, Ore. By Courtesy of Jamison McAndie
By Arik Katz, Contributing Writer

Few acts in life are as stunning as looking up at a star-studded night sky. If you’re tired of staring at your computer screen on tedious Zoom calls, the dazzling beauty and mystery of outer space can provide an enchanting escape. The songs in this playlist are the perfect soundtrack for your stargazing experience, so make sure to dress warm, turn on some tunes, and keep an eye out for Ursa Major.

“Galaxies” by Alice Phoebe Lou

This mesmerizing track from South African indie musician Alice Phoebe Lou is perfect for pondering the mysteries of space. “Just a speck of dust in the Milky Way,” Lou sings, her smooth voice floating across a gorgeous instrumental track complete with electric piano and synthesizers. A spellbinding song that is both soothing and invigorating, “Galaxies” is perfect for finding comfort in the stars.

“Empire Ants” by Gorillaz (feat. Little Dragon)

At four minutes and 44 seconds, this song is pure magic. Damon Albarn’s vocals are layered over a relaxed beat and shimmering keys to create a beautifully nostalgic track. “Empire Ants” builds and builds until it erupts in an explosion of synths, all with the distinctive vocals of Little Dragon’s Yukimi Nagano drifting hazily on top.

“Close 2 U” by Raveena

“Close 2 U” is reminiscent of a nice, hot shower after a long day. This song gives you a warm embrace and, through its layered vocals and cozy atmosphere, lets you know that everything will be okay. Whether you are curled up underneath a warm blanket looking at the night sky or simply gazing at the stars through your bedroom window, wind down and let Raveena’s calming voice guide you through the night.

“Starlight” by Pure X

A song named “Starlight” may be too obvious a candidate for a stargazing playlist, but with its soft vocals and dreamy atmosphere, this song by Pure X is ideal for laying back and getting lost in the music.

“Sometimes He’s In My Dreams” by Mary Lattimore

Harpist Mary Lattimore teamed up with Slowdive’s Neil Halstead to bring us this achingly beautiful piece. Lattimore’s virtuosic harp[-]playing twinkles and shines, with reverb and delay layered in to create a truly dreamy atmosphere fitting for those introspective moments under the night sky.

“Space Song” by Beach House

Now that Lattimore has us feeling contemplative, it’s time for Victoria Legrand and Alex Scally to bring us their bittersweet sound. “Space Song” creates a nostalgic sense of yearning for times that once were and times that never will be. After all, this wouldn’t be a proper stargazing playlist without a track by Beach House.

“The Moon Song” by beabadoobee and Oscar Lang

Do you want to cry under the stars? If so, “The Moon Song” is for you. Originally written by Karen O for the film “Her”, beabadoobee and Oscar Lang’s cover is beautifully poignant and raw — the perfect song for reflecting on life.

“Over the Moon” by the Marias

Once the cry session brought on by beabadoobee and Oscar Lang’s touching song has ended, this easygoing track from The Marías brings a steady diet of relaxed beats and welcoming melodies. “I might as well be over the moon,” María Zardoya’s welcoming voice croons over a gentle beat and reverb laden synths, inviting the listener in. Add a groovy guitar solo to the concoction, and “Over the Moon” is the perfect track to finish off the night.

Listen to the playlist here.

ArtsCulture