Cooke and Hirabayashi Failed To Meet Campaign Promises. To Students, It Reflects Broader Issues.

Judge Rules Against Theo Harper ’25 in Harvard IRC Lawsuit Following Removal Over ‘Stress Test’

‘Out of the Blue’: Students and Counselors Share Mixed Reactions to Harvard’s Return to Test-Required Policy

Chip City Cookies Set To Sweeten up Harvard Square in July

Harvard College Dean Khurana Defends PSC Suspension, Rejects Accusations of Bias

Demi Lovato’s ‘I Love Me’ Chooses Message Over Musicality

Promotional still from Demi Lovato's "I Love Me."
Promotional still from Demi Lovato's "I Love Me." By Courtesy of Demi Lovato/Island Records/Hollywood Records
By Nina M. Foster, Crimson Staff Writer

Demi Lovato’s latest release, “I Love Me,” is a powerful testament against the judgement that she has endured from both the media and her own inner critic. In many ways, it’s a sharp contrast to her more recent single “Anyone.” The fun, upbeat song, which makes up for unimpressive instrumentals with meaningful lyrics, belongs on every empowering pump-up playlist as a reminder that if Lovato could make it through such an arduous journey, her listeners can, too.

On Mar. 5, Lovato revealed in an interview on “The Ellen Show” that her prior management team went to extreme lengths to control her lifestyle, worsening a preexisting eating disorder and putting her in a negative headspace that led to her eventual relapse. Now, with a new team to support her, Lovato is in a much better place.

“If you do go through this, you yourself can get through it. You can get to the other side, and it may be bumpy, but you are a ten out of ten, don’t forget it,” she said. “And as long as you take the responsibility, you can move past it and learn to love yourself the way that you deserve to be loved.”

Lovato’s message could not be clearer in her new single, which boasts lyrics that reject comparison and promote self-love. “Why am I always looking for a ride or die?” she sings in the verse. “‘Cause mine’s the only heart I’m gonna have for life.” No longer dependent on others for validation, Lovato encourages listeners to accept their flaws, calling for body positivity and combatting superficial criticism.

Unfortunately, the instrumentals of her new single leave something to be desired, with a synth-heavy pop beat that’s formulaic, repetitive, and reminiscent of Katy Perry’s “Roar.” Nonetheless, while the form of the song is not unique, “I Love Me” still has strong moments, particularly ones that showcase Lovato’s wide vocal range. In the outro, she effortlessly hits high, victorious notes and performs elegant vocal runs, reminding listeners of her talent.

Lovato’s music video for the single is full of Easter eggs, with references ranging from her early days on “Barney & Friends” to her experience with the Jonas Brothers in “Camp Rock” to, more soberingly, her near-fatal overdose in 2018. After fighting off a human embodiment of her darker thoughts, Lovato confidently struts around New York in a bright red trench coat, walking past nods to her milestones as dancers surround her with joyful choreography.

Ultimately, Lovato’s “I Love Me” signifies monumental growth in her career and personal life. The single is a representation of pure resilience, building excitement for the upcoming songs that will undoubtedly provide more insight and inspiration.