Su to Lead The Crimson’s 148th Guard

Amanda Y. Su '22 will serve as The Crimson's next President.
Amanda Y. Su '22 will serve as The Crimson's next President. By Kai R. McNamee
By Crimson News Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Amanda Y. Su ’22 will lead The Harvard Crimson’s 148th Guard as the paper's next President, the organization announced Sunday.

Su, a History and Literature concentrator hailing from San Ramon, Calif., currently covers the College Administration and trains new staff photographers for the paper’s News and Multimedia boards. As a reporter, she wrote about the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on Harvard’s undergraduates, including how the decision to vacate the dorms impacted the College’s most vulnerable students.

A resident of Pforzheimer House, Su previously covered race and diversity and coordinated multimedia for Fifteen Minutes, The Crimson’s magazine. She will begin her term on Jan. 1, 2021.

“I could not be more confident in the ability of the 148th Guard to take on the challenges The Crimson faces during this uncertain time,” Crimson President Aidan F. Ryan ’21 said of the new guard. “They have proven themselves to be a dedicated, accomplished, and thoughtful group of leaders, and I am excited to see where the President, Managing Editor, and Business Manager take the 148th Guard in 2021.”

James S. Bikales '22 will serve as The Crimson's next Managing Editor
James S. Bikales '22 will serve as The Crimson's next Managing Editor By Kai R. McNamee

Reporter and designer James S. Bikales ’22 will lead the paper’s coverage as its Managing Editor in 2021, directing The Crimson’s daily newspaper, magazine, arts and sports sections, and blog.

Bikales, a joint Government and East Asian Studies concentrator from Portland, Ore., currently covers Harvard’s faculty and trains incoming print designers. In May, he broke allegations of sexual misconduct against three senior Anthropology professors, a story which roiled both Harvard’s department and the field at large. The Associated College Press recognized Bikales’s reporting last month, awarding it first prize for in-depth coverage.

Bikales, a resident of Quincy House, currently co-chairs The Crimson’s Diversity and Inclusivity committee, leading steps the organization has taken to become more diverse, welcoming, and accountable.

Melissa H. Du '22 will serve as The Crimson's next Business Manager.
Melissa H. Du '22 will serve as The Crimson's next Business Manager. By Kai R. McNamee

Computer Science concentrator Melissa H. Du ’22, a native of Short Hills, N.J. and resident of Quincy House, will serve as The Crimson’s next Business Manager after completing a year leading its Strategy team. In that role, she led projects aimed at improving the sustainability and success of the paper’s business. She previously managed The Crimson’s contract printing, leading that business to its first year of growth in a decade.

Founded in 1873, The Crimson is the student newspaper of Harvard University. It is the oldest continuously published daily college newspaper in the United States and the only breakfast-table daily in Cambridge, Mass. The paper is proud to provide news and analysis to a wide range of Harvard affiliates, Cambridge residents, and readers across the nation.

The Crimson selects its leaders through an election called the Turkey Shoot, a process in which all outgoing members of the masthead may participate. A candidate for a senior leadership position must receive at least 75 percent of the vote to be elected.

Joining Su, Bikales, and Du on the masthead are:

Sydnie M. Cobb ’22, Associate Managing Editor

Ema R. Schumer ’22, Associate Managing Editor

Business

Eric D. Hansen ’22, Associate Business Manager

Mark L. Xu ’22, Associate Business Manager

Editorial

Hana M. Kiros ’22, Editorial Chair

Chloe A. Shawah ’22, Editorial Chair

Arts

Joy C. Ashford ’22, Arts Chair

Kalos K. Chu ’22, Arts Chair

Blog

Peyton A. Jones ’22, Blog Chair

Rachel L. Reynolds ’22, Blog Chair

Design

Madison A. Shirazi ’23, Design Chair

Matthew J. Tyler ’22, Design Chair

Magazine

Olivia G. Oldham ’22, Magazine Chair

Matteo N. Wong ’22, Magazine Chair

Multimedia

Zadoc I.N “Zing” Gee ’23, Multimedia Chair

Thomas Maisonneuve ’23, Multimedia Chair

Sports

William C. Boggs ’22, Sports Chair

Technology

Zuzanna Skoczylas ’22, Technology Chair

Richard A. Xu ’22, Technology Chair

Student GroupsStudent LifeStudent PublicationsJournalismThe Harvard CrimsonFront Middle FeatureFeatured Articles