DSO Administrators Outline Plans for “Contactless” Student Move-Out

An undergraduate sits on a box during March's sudden move out due to COVID-19. The Dean of Students Office has released contactless move-out plans for the end of the fall semester.
An undergraduate sits on a box during March's sudden move out due to COVID-19. The Dean of Students Office has released contactless move-out plans for the end of the fall semester. By Jonathan G. Yuan
By Sydnie M. Cobb and Declan J. Knieriem, Crimson Staff Writers

The Dean of Students Office released move-out plans to students living on campus in an email Friday, an endeavor the administration is hoping will be much smoother and well-planned than the hectic send-off students faced in the spring.

Students departing campus will need to move out prior to Thanksgiving break and will remain at home during reading period and finals. A successful move-out would affirm DSO administrators’ confidence in students’ ability to prevent an outbreak on campus, DSO administrators said in an Oct. 2 interview.

“Houses and dorms close at 5:00pm on Sunday, November 22 for the fall term,” the email announcement read. “You should plan to move all belongings out of your suite no later than this date, though you are welcome to move off campus earlier.”

The email provided information regarding room key drop-offs, as well as a checklist for students to follow to ready their suite for moving out. The move-out process will also utilize a “contactless checkout,” according to the email.

“You will leave your key in a designated key-drop location and complete a form on the Residential Portal when you leave campus,” the email stated.

The reminder to students follows the plan set out by the University in July, which allowed for freshmen and select upperclassmen to return to campus. Select upperclassmen could apply to stay in residence, provided they meet specific criteria.

Friday’s email also stated that a limited group of students would be allowed to stay on campus through the end of the term or even through winter break. More information regarding the “eligibility and application process” will be released to students by Oct. 19.

In the spring, the College offered a similar opportunity to a select group of students who successfully petitioned to stay on campus after the de-densification period and throughout the summer.

Departing from its spring decision, however, the College will neither provide storage nor coordinate on-campus pick-up and drop-off for students’ belongings, according to the email.

In the spring, the College directly assisted with students’ moving and storage plans by offering a $200 grant to students on financial aid to help cover costs. With most students taking classes remotely this semester, the College provided an additional $175 subsidy to help defray the cost of storage.

—Staff writer Sydnie M. Cobb can be reached at sydnie.cobb@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @cobbsydnie.

—Staff writer Declan J. Knieriem can be reached at declan.knieriem@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter at @DeclanKnieriem.

Student LifeCollege AdministrationCollege LifeCollege NewsFront Middle FeatureCoronavirusCoronavirus Feature