Harvard Law Faculty Letter Calls for Protection of Speech From Administrative Action

O’Dair Announces New Quincy, Pfoho Resident Deans

Monique A. Roy will be the new resident dean of Pforzheimer House.
Monique A. Roy will be the new resident dean of Pforzheimer House. By Mirac M. Suzgun
By Caroline S. Engelmayer and Michael E. Xie, Crimson Staff Writers

Laura F. Hawkins and Monique A. Roy will be the next resident deans of Quincy House and Pforzheimer House, respectively, Dean of Students Katherine G. O’Dair announced Tuesday in a letter to colleagues.

Hawkins will take over for Judith X. Flynn, who has served as Quincy’s resident dean for 13 years. Roy will replace Brigitte A. B. Libby, Pforzheimer’s resident dean for the past four years.

In her letter, O’Dair noted that Hawkins will bring experience in the Harvard community to her new role. She served as Quincy’s interim resident dean in the fall 2017, and was the Director of Special Projects in the College’s Office of Academic Integrity and Student Conduct this past spring.

She holds a D.Phil. from the University of Oxford in Assyriology and will live with her husband David T. Severson, a Medical School student, and her two cats.

Roy’s tenure as resident dean will mark her first Harvard-affiliated role. She previously served as a graduate resident assistant and teaching fellow at Boston University, an interim director of a French center at the University of Maine, and a community director at Dartmouth.

A graduate of Dartmouth College, she holds a Ph.D. from Boston University in French. She will live with her wife Julia Patten in Pforzheimer.

Libby announced in April that she would step down from her position as Pforzheimer’s resident dean to take on her current role as assistant dean for the Office of Academic Integrity and Student Conduct.

Quincy began its resident dean search roughly one month before Libby’s announcement.

Both Hawkins and Roy will move into their houses in July.

—Staff writer Caroline S. Engelmayer can be reached at caroline.engelmayer@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @cengelmayer13.

CollegeHouse LifeCollege AdministrationQuincyPforzheimer