Activists Demand ‘Indefinite Pause’ on Plans to Renovate Democracy Center for New Nonprofit

At Final Meeting, HUA Co-President Shikoh Hirabayashi Stays Silent About Cooke’s Recall

$14,000 in Equipment Reportedly Stolen from Harvard Research Lab

By Crimson file photo
By Brett J. Dowling, Crimson Staff Writer

$14,000 worth of lab or research equipment was allegedly stolen from the New Research Building late last week, according to Harvard University Police Department logs.

The alleged theft was reported to the Harvard University Police Department last Thursday morning around 10:42 a.m. The New Research Building, which houses over 800 researchers, is located at Harvard Medical School’s Longwood Campus at 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur.

When contacted by The Crimson on March 1 regarding the alleged theft, HUPD spokesperson Steven G. Catalano said that this case remains an “open investigation,” and that he would therefore be unable to comment on the matter. Subsequent attempts by The Crimson to contact security at the New Research Building resulted in deferrals back to HUPD.

When contacted by The Crimson, researchers from several labs located in the New Research Building appeared to be unaware that the theft had occurred.

At press time on Tuesday night, the exact equipment reportedly stolen and the lab from which the equipment was reportedly stolen were still not known.

—Staff writer Brett J. Dowling can be reached at brett.dowling@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @brettjd1996.

CrimeHarvard Medical SchoolHUPDMetroUniversity NewsLongwood