Hist and Lit Concentrators Near Thesis Completion

By Jonah P. Philion, Contributing Writer

UPDATED: February 27, 2015, at 2:33 a.m.

When the 47 members of the senior class concentrating in History and Literature arrive at the Barker Center to turn in their theses on Friday afternoon, they will be greeted by champagne and cookies in addition to the usual congratulations from their tutors and department heads.

History and Literature, which requires theses of all of its concentrators, has one of the earliest thesis deadlines of all the College departments. According to concentrators, the department also fosters a sense of camaraderie among students.

“History and Literature has a great community,” George G. Mills ’15 said. “You feel like everyone is really invested.”

Fellow concentrator Carrie J. Tian ’15, an inactive Crimson blog editor, said she has a make-up class scheduled at the time of the celebration but that she plans on missing at least part of her class tomorrow so that she can celebrate with her fellow concentrators.

Tian added that the concentrators will continue celebrating their achievements at an informal gathering after the champagne hour.

“The Hist. and Lit. seniors organized more of a normal party with no funding from History and Literature,” she said.

While other members of the Class of 2015 will finalize their theses throughout the upcoming weeks, History and Literature concentrators said they plan to take advantage of their newfound free time. Tian said she intends to “plan for senior spring.”

“I’m going to actually do my homework, because that hasn’t happened in the last few weeks," Andrea N. Del Conte ’15 said.

For his part, Mills said he hopes to spend the evening with his fellow concentrators.

“Hopefully I’ll be able to take a break here and enjoy it for a second,” he said, “then maybe head out to town with the other people in Hist. and Lit.”

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

CORRECTION: February 27, 2015

An earlier version of this article misquoted Carrie J. Tian '15. In fact, she said she will plan for "senior spring" after completing her thesis, not senior "scream."

CollegeStudent LifeAcademicsSeniorsThesisHistory and LiteratureCollege News